• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Catch Can, hook to the front or rear of VC?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

I'm not taking any chances with the new stroker install, and plan on installing a catch can for the blow by. Was wondering though which port to hook it up to, the front or the rear CCV? I figured that the front was always the main culprit, but the rear plays it own part too.

Thanks!

Todd

I would go front

But you shouldnt have a problem with a rebuilt and cleaned up engine. I cleaned my vc and replaced the ccv tubes and im still stayin clean 6 months later with 222,000 miles on it

TORX

I hear ya, maybe I'm being paranoid, but I just figured that for $30ish bucks, it's cheap insurance. Figured front, thanks man.

Todd

NHxj4x4 said:
Guys,

I'm not taking any chances with the new stroker install, and plan on installing a catch can for the blow by. Was wondering though which port to hook it up to, the front or the rear CCV? I figured that the front was always the main culprit, but the rear plays it own part too.

Thanks!

Todd

I made my own oil catch can to condense the oil vapour from the crankcase gases. You need to hook the pipe from one end of the catch can to the REAR valve cover grommet, and the pipe from the other end of the can to the intake manifold. The idea is for the vacuum from the intake manifold to draw gases from the crankcase through the catch can, and the can acts as a filter removing oil vapour and sending only clean air into the manifold.
Here's some pics of mine:

CAN1.jpg

CAN2.jpg

CAN3.jpg

CAN4.jpg

I made it from a Campbell's chicken and mushroom soup can. Firstly I drilled two holes in the side and epoxied two lengths of 1/2" copper pipe to the can. I epoxied an aluminium plate in the middle to act as a baffle with the lower edge about 1" off the bottom of the can, and stuffed Scotch Brite scouring pads into each compartment. I drilled a hole at the bottom of the can, epoxied a nut over the hole, and threaded a bolt though the nut to act as a drain plug. Finally I put the soup can lid back on, epoxied it in place, and sprayed it with bumper chrome to blend it with the rest of the can.

That's hot Dyno ;) but what of the leakage that typically goes into our air filters, it's obviously coming down the front tube, should that not come into play if the rear is flowing correctly?

No. The vacuum from the intake manifold should be enough to scavenge the crankcase provided the passages from crankcase to manifold are patent and not blocked.
If the passages ARE patent and you're still getting too much pressure inside the crankcase causing oil to come back up the front vent pipe and soak the air filter, that can only mean one thing; that you're getting compressed gases blowing by the piston rings into the crankcase. The only cure then is to rehone the cylinders and fit new rings.
You could put an oil catch can between the front vent pipe and the air filter to catch the oil and stop it soaking the filter, but that would only be treating the symptoms rather than treating the disease.

Back