• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch problems

lisdexic

NAXJA Forum User
My clutch wasn't dissengaging all the way; it was grinding when I tried to put it in reverse, so I tried bleeding it. The first time we did it, we forgot to keep the master cylinder filled up, so the line was completely full of air. We filled the master cylinder up, and tried bleeding the lines again. We did it by the book this time, but now the clutch isn't dissengaging at all. If this has happened to you, or you have heard of similar problems, how was the problem fixed?

More/better bleeding. The clutch line is a PITA to bleed completely.

yup.
agree with Eagle - just did my own clutch M/C replacement...

make sure the M/C cap has the little rubber sucker thing - that keeps the pressure in there. Also put the cap back on all the way tight between each fill with the rubber sucker.
I only got 2 releases of fluid before i had to refill the resivor, so there is certanly $3-$4 of DOT 3 brake fluid involved with changing a M/C in a cherokee...

If you have bled the system correctly you may have a bad or sticking slave cylinder . Also you never said how many miles the clutch has on it. The clutch itself may be bad along with a bad throw out bearing which can cause the same problems. I would check the slave cylinder first.

lisdexic said:
Thanks guys, but I tried bleeding the clutch for about two hours. It still is releasing way too low. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.
Bleed it more.

I'm not kidding. Ask Mike from NJ

Back