• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle Ujoints bad???

Twisted Copper

NAXJA Member #962
My front end is squealing when it's cold. I suspect it's my axle U joints going bad?

I raised the front end, and turning the wheels there seems to be no play when the axle U joints rotate. When I manually steer the wheels left to right there seems to be a little (very little) play in the side to side motion in the joints. I'm assuming this means they are bad? I can't get anything to make noise when it's sitting.

Sound like they're bad?

Do I have to yank apart everything to replace, or can it be done leaving the shafts, rotors, etc in place?
[edit] for the record, the ujoints in the DS's are fine and I already checked the brakes and they're good to go too.] ;)

Last edited:
Could be the ujoints or the hubs? Im not 100% sure.

As for replacing them, yes, you do have to remove the assembly from the vehicle.

Pretty easy though. Just take the wheel/brakes off, then remove the 3 12pt 13mm bolts on the back holding the hub on, then beat the hub out, and the shaft will come too.

Then get it out where you can work on it and replace the joints.

Installation is reverse of removal. :D

I should have mentioned it's a 2000 XJ (D30)

SO is there an upgraded joint I can put in there? I'm thinking they shouldn't have gone bad already. I'm only running a 245/75/16 tire (31x9.50x16) and they've only been on there about 4 months or so.

Too damn bad they're not greaseable, they'd probably last alot longer

Twisted Copper said:
I should have mentioned it's a 2000 XJ (D30)

SO is there an upgraded joint I can put in there? I'm thinking they shouldn't have gone bad already. I'm only running a 245/75/16 tire (31x9.50x16) and they've only been on there about 4 months or so.

Too damn bad they're not greaseable, they'd probably last alot longer

Hmmm, could be something else. Are you sure its your axle squealing? :laugh:

If it is a ujoint, you can upgrade to 760x's.

If it's only happening when it's cold... try re-lubing them... might just have some moisture in the caps and the needle bearings are squeeling like little school girls.

I personally think it's your unit bearings (wheel bearing)..

rock hard said:
If it's only happening when it's cold... try re-lubing them... might just have some moisture in the caps and the needle bearings are squeeling like little school girls.

I personally think it's your unit bearings (wheel bearing)..

Those wheel bearings are sealed right? Think they would be bad at 65K miles???

My front driveshaft u-joints squeal when it's cold if they're not completely lubed up. As soon as I lube them it goes away. Just one more thing to check, and it's easier to check than the hubs or the axle u-joints. The CV joints on the front driveshaft have a tendency to dry out and go bad too (I've gone through 2 stock ones so far).

no... the caps have retaining clips on the inside of the yokes... lift the front up and take the wheel off (or on a hoist) and take a close look... there should be a needle fitting on the actual joint between two of the caps (if u look at an ' X ' it would be in one of the V's)

if u dont have one... u have non-greasable u-joints and best thing would be to replace them anyways..

Back