• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone REALLY modify the dash??

AJsArmor

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of getting a different daily driver so I can really tear into the XJ like I've wanted to for a long time. A V8 transplant is in order since I can get parts so much cheaper for that than the I6 and simplify things while upgrading the drivetrain. Anyways, then I'd have the gratification of yanking out the stock harness, dash, related junk and start over from scratch. Basically I'd have to keep part of the stock harness for the lights, signals and wipers but the rest could be ditched along with the fusepanel (use an aftermarket). Shuck that stock heater box, replace with a Summit box that pushes some REAL BTU's and fab up my own duct work. Has anyone yanked the entire stock dash and made one? Just looking for some ideas of what's been done.

Not thinking of putting in a generic flat panel with gauges either. Sketched out some stuff to make one out of fiberglass and giving it some shape, putting mids/tweets in the corners so I can run tube doors in the summer.

AJsArmor said:
Thinking of getting a different daily driver so I can really tear into the XJ like I've wanted to for a long time. A V8 transplant is in order since I can get parts so much cheaper for that than the I6 and simplify things while upgrading the drivetrain. Anyways, then I'd have the gratification of yanking out the stock harness, dash, related junk and start over from scratch. Basically I'd have to keep part of the stock harness for the lights, signals and wipers but the rest could be ditched along with the fusepanel (use an aftermarket). Shuck that stock heater box, replace with a Summit box that pushes some REAL BTU's and fab up my own duct work. Has anyone yanked the entire stock dash and made one? Just looking for some ideas of what's been done.

Not thinking of putting in a generic flat panel with gauges either. Sketched out some stuff to make one out of fiberglass and giving it some shape, putting mids/tweets in the corners so I can run tube doors in the summer.
While I haven't seen a custom dash in a XJ yet, There is a guy here that has done a few for some imports. They turned out very, very nice. (He rawks with fiberglass). I figure, as long as you (or someone else) is good with fiberglass, anything can be done.

If you are going to put a flat panel in pay attention to it's operating temp range, LCD's don't like extreme cold.

Yeah i did/am doing a custom dash. Started in oh about septemberish! I would say its labor intensive. I removed the dash so that I could build my cage so that is almosts touches the firewall. Which it does now. Its messy back there, seriously, no joke. If I had any idea what i was getting myself into, I would have left it stock. I searched and searched to see if anyone had done it before. So, to my knowledge, I am the first. I planned on going with all Autometer gauges, but due to the lack of funds now, its looking like I may go with a older CJ style setup, even though those suck. By gettting rid of the stock gauge cluster, you need to be dedicated to either runnin the bare minimum. I dont have the cruise control, having to make a special heater control unit, so I can simply turn the darn thing on/off. You would think you would have room for stuff to go, but with how far i moved the dash bar back... i have a couple inches of depth.

Just realize what you could get yourself into. I know i will be happy with its outcome, its just VERY VERY labor intensive.

Matt

Back