• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to buy drawer slides?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to build a rear storage box w/ drawer but I'm having trouble finding large capacity slides.I'm looking for slides that are extra long....around 36 inches.I've only been able to find ones that are 26 inches but that's too short.I did a search on the net but could'nt find anything usefull.Any info will be appreciated.Thanks

PM me with the prices that you find on Accuride slides. I'm a custom cabinetmaker, and our shop uses these glides. I'm almost positive I can get you a pretty good deal on whatever you find.

Keep in mind that there are different types of slides which have different weight ratings. For example, the 7434's are for standard drawers that you would use for silverware or lighter objects. 4034's are for file drawers or pull outs (recycle, garbage, full-sink, etc.). We've used some slides that were around $500 a pair. They were rated at 300 lbs and the ball bearings were about a 1/2" in diameter. If you plan on using it for tools, automotive supplies, etc., you're going to need higher rated slides. If you plan on using it for topo maps, you'll be fine with the lighter rated ones.

Eric

Might want to check out a computer case manufacturer, slides you are looking for are for a 5U rack mount server case. Stronger ones I use on sun servers hold 100-150lbs suspended in a eia standard rack. They come in various sizes up to 36 inches deep, use ball bearings and have slide locks built in that will hold that same weight suspended out in the air when I pull one out for hardware changes.

desertjeeper said:
Here are some 36" Extra Heavy Duty slides. Kinda pricey, may want to look through what they have here, looks like they have quite a selection.

Linky Link
Those look like what I need but they are high$$$$Is that like the going rate for these slides?Thanks,man.

Last edited:
Do you guys think these will suffice...they are way cheaper
Click here for product specifications.

Sorry the pic did'nt turn out
Knape and Vogt 28in.(700mm) 100lb. Heavy-Duty Box/File Slides - pair

Last edited:
Open your drawer on an up hill incline with the usual amount of stuff guys put in a 36 x 28 x 10 drawer, and you may find yourself knocked flat by the drawer exiting those slides. Watched it happen. Maybe a freak accident, maybe a victim of perceived economy...

Ref McMaster #1277A85, Accuride has an equivalent. Drawer cannot be removed without dissassembly of the slide. I'd go a minimum of 200lb, 75 cycles a week rated slides, or more.

--ron

How thin do the average slides get? I'm looking at adding my laptop to my XJ's stereo so I can utilize it with any media I want and I was thinking that a smaller pair of these sliders mounted in the console would make a good mount for it. I'd install them mounted probably on either side of the center air vent in the console angled slightly down and put a lip on the end of the part that pulls out. Pull it out and it makes supports for the comp. and push them in and they're just two bumps next to the vent. Does this sound reasonable, or are they pretty thick? Thanks for any input!

Back