• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer- replace?

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ, 4.0L, 200,000 miles.

My engine is making funny noises from the fan belt area.

Looking down at the belt, I notice that all pulleys are nice and staight, but the Harmonic Balancer on the bottom seems to wobble a little.

Is it time to replace it?

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

it probably would not be a bad idea i got mine from a napa and it was only like 50 bucks. the only thing that sucks for me is that it already wipped out the bottom end of the motor my xj sounded like a diesel. definitly something not to let go for awhile.

Very possible. There is a rubber bushing that seporates the 2 sections of the dampner pulley. That rubber bushing has probably come out and is hitting the fan. They aren't too bad to change just watch it when you put it back on. It MUST go on straight. The book actually recommends some type of install tool to put the new one back on. Other than that they're not too bad.

Laters..........Mikey

Yes replace it. Mine starting falling apart and the rubber was coming out the front and back and cutting into the timing chain cover. I didn't see that until I pulled the Harmonic Balancer, but caught it in time.

Use a HB puller - $12.00 - and not a wheel/gear puller as it will only pull the outside ring of the HB off. Ask how I know?

You should also replace the front seal while the HB is off. The manual recommends using a special tool to place the HB back on, but I used the original bolt and a very thin fender washer to install - the stock washer is too thick to grab any threads.

Might want to check the timing chain and gear set as all you do is unbolt the timing chain cover. You've come this far go a little further as all the hard work is done. 200,000 is about the mileage to check anyway.

To loosen the HB bolt use a breaker bar with 3/4 inch socket - I think - and place the handle under the passenger side front frame and goose the engine for a second.

I recently replaced mine and I thought I got it on straight but at idle it looks slightly wobbly but when the engine is at almost any RPM above idle it looks perfectly straight. Should I worry about this?

karter74 said:
I recently replaced mine and I thought I got it on straight but at idle it looks slightly wobbly but when the engine is at almost any RPM above idle it looks perfectly straight. Should I worry about this?

That's exactly what mine does. I've got about 160K miles on it this way so I don't think it's harming anything.

Back