• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open D44 and 38x14.5 ?'s

paul_xj04 said:
100% stock Front D44 running 38s, how many stock shafts have you broke. Need feedback whether to run em or negative idea
probably wont break any if you're not hard on it. Lock it and you'll break them quite a bit.

paul_xj04 said:
100% stock Front D44 running 38s, how many stock shafts have you broke. Need feedback whether to run em or negative idea

It depends on where you live and what kind of trails you run. In mud it may last if you're not too hard on it. In rocks it won't last very long. The weakness is the Spicer axle u-joint and the ears on the yokes, and the D44 has the same joint as the later model D30's, which people can break with 31's.

id be crawling most of the time until i get pist and the rev limiter is goin off, then thats the point of that famous noise everyone likes, crack, bang, boom, clunk......WHOOPS

right now it has 36's and i want to put those on my TJ and i can get the 38's pretty new for 5 bills, its a deal then if i dont like em, trade them for 37's

37's are too big for a 44 with Warn's and CTM's for the places we wheel in the arid, rocky West. I trust a 44 with 36's and no larger on a 4,000+ pound XJ. 19 spline stubs and/or the hubs are the weak link.

With a lightweight buggy (less than 3k), a 44 can live reasonably well with 37's.

CRASH

bgcntry72 said:
I know.
Just once I wanted to be that guy.
The one who pulls the 8.8 out of their arse every time axle swaps come up.
:flipoff:
Ahhh, NOW I see the humor! :laugh3:

guys out here run 38's to 39's on a d44. but they have shafts and locked up and rarely break when there not hammerin down. i think being open running these will be fine. its like running a 30 with 36's.

paul_xj04 said:
guys out here run 38's to 39's on a d44. but they have shafts and locked up and rarely break when there not hammerin down. i think being open running these will be fine. its like running a 30 with 36's.

Its actually like a d30 on 38s.. only you have better steering options. :D

Back