• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket lights w/ stock wires

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
I admit I am no electrical guru, so all your help is appreciated. I am about to install some 100W KC's on my 99. Looking at the wiring behind the bezel, their appears to be an existing wiring harness for the fog lights, which my XJ didn't come with from the factory. However, the wiring looks to be a fairly light guage. My questions are (1) did XJ's without factory fog lights have the factory fog light wiring harness? (2) If so, is the guage sufficient for 100W lights? (3) Anything else I should know?

I know I will need a relay in the distribution center if I go this route, but what else am I missing?

TIA

if there arent fogs at all and no indication they were once there i would say no thats probably not the wiring for the fogs. The stock wiring is pretty weak and i wouldnt run 100 w on those wires. Even if you use a relay which you def should with 100W lights, i wouldnt use the stock 14 or 16 guage that jeep used. Just run new 12 guage wire and put a switch in your dash and you will be set. The stock fog switch gets so hot because of the wiring, you will be happier with your own wiring set up anyway.

You will get better performance from your light if you run new wiring, with a relay and a switch. Use quaility products. You don't want an electrical fire. There's a lot of wiring diagrams on the net for setting up the switch and relay that are real easy to understand. DON'T just run the wiring through the switch. Use a proper relay.

Back