• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 From EXPLODER

creeperjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Got a question about the 8.8 swap.
I have been searching for the 8.8 and found a bunch if them in many different ratios.

what is the difference between an 8.8 from a V8 explorer and an 8.8 from a V6 vehicle?
Is one more desirable and why?

Strength wise there is no difference. They may have different ratios or a limited slip, but other than that they are the same. Just as long as it's a 95 or newer 8.8 it will have discs.

No difference, except maybe gear ratio. Most Explorers I've seen have a 3.73 ratio. There is no carrier break on an 8.8, so any gear ratio can be used with the stock carrier.

i am not sure about the exploder but i know that other 8.8 also came with a 29 spline i beleive. not sure if the non v-8 had 29 or 31, 31 being stronge. does anyone know for sure?

Yah, let me be more specific
An 8.8 with 410s open from a '97 with standard suspension and disc *V8*
is a different part number as a
An 8.8 with 410s open from a '97 with standard suspension and disc *v6*

creeperjeep said:
Yah, let me be more specific
An 8.8 with 410s open from a '97 with standard suspension and disc *V8*
is a different part number as a
An 8.8 with 410s open from a '97 with standard suspension and disc *v6*

8.8 internals are interchangeable, gears, axles, etc. If the V8 has a different part number it could be some slight difference in suspension bracketry or maybe a different plug on the ABS system, or some other slight difference. If I was buying one, I'd buy the one that's the cheapest....... :)

Back