• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console Wiring

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
How would I wire a 91 Overhead console into my 96? I've checked the other threads on here, but my main concern is that my Jeep does not have power windows or locks so would that mean there would not be proper wiring to get the outside temp and compass to work? I'm not sure if it is worth it. Thanks

Thanks for the info. Where did you tap into the wires from? The overhead light that runs off the dimmer switch?

My 90 had a plug that one of the three plugs on the harness plugged in to. It used to be just for my front dome light. I have two quirks with mine, I can't dim the lights on the OHC and when I open the doors only the two rear lights on it come on. Hope some of this has helped.
Collin

Some xj's came with the wiring some didn't. I think the pre 97s were more likley to have it. The consoles rear lights are the ones that light up for dome lights, but it's easy to change them to get all the lights to work. I did it to the Plymouth Voyager I had, but I dont remember which wires to splice together.

scoobyxj said:
Some xj's came with the wiring some didn't. I think the pre 97s were more likley to have it. The consoles rear lights are the ones that light up for dome lights, but it's easy to change them to get all the lights to work. I did it to the Plymouth Voyager I had, but I dont remember which wires to splice together.

So you're saying my situation is normal then only the rear 2 lights should come on?

Gnarly. Thanks a lot.

Out of curiosity where are the stock harnesses located for this overhead console ? If i was to install one in my 94 xj would i have to install the compass and temp sensors or are they in the xj somewhere.

pete

IIRC, the compass is integral to the console, so no wiring is used for that, and the forward temp sensor wire plugs into the harness at a plug tucked in somewhere just in front of the relay box by your a/c compressor. I don't know where the wires go through the firewall though - maybe someone can enlighten us...?

CollinM said:
http://www.freewebs.com/jeepguy/overheadconsoleaddon.htm

Read my write up on it. I didnt have pl or pw either but it worked rather well. Not sure if this'll be the exact same as your wiring on your 96 but I put one from a 92 in my 90 so....

I'm presently going through this myself. Have a '90 Pioneer, and got a console from an early 90's model [only two buttons on the computer say 'comp./temp. and us./metric' Does yours say this? How exactly did you wire yours in? I grabbed the harness from the connector to the conneactors. Do you have pics at all? Don't want to mess my headliner up doing this, so want to make sure I get this done right..

Appreciate any help you could give me on this.
TIA!

CollinM said:
Gnarly. Thanks a lot.

Hey Collin, got a wiring question for you regarding the lights. How did you exactly do it? Got the overhead in tongiht, wiring routed, but not hooked up as of yet. Got too dark and it's cold out. Took a look though. Seems there's no actual connector for the original dome light at all, but seems to be hiredwire straight down and across, or so it appears. Only connectors I saw was one I've not identified yet, but not the dome light for sure, speaker connectors, and the under the dash lights. Don't want to start ripping wiring out until I know what I'm getting into.

thx

btw, the overhead itself went in no problems! Used the measurements and the brackets as a guide and cut smaller than I measured, then trimmed outward as needed, so ended up cutting way less than was measured, and fits perfectly. Just the headliner on the passenger side seems to not go back into place so will probably have to use velcro or something to keep it up.

Back