• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My solid-state dual battery

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
controller fried, and now I'm looking into a Painless wiring type of solution, a large solenoid with a switch to choose the combination of battery(s) at will.

I'm thinking about just buying one of their two units (the non-weatherproof one), but I'd build one if I could figure out how to switch between the two batteries using the toggle switch used in the Painless unit.

Right know I simply put a Hella hi-amp battery on/off switch on the back-up battery that I previously used as a kill switch to periodically charge it, but that's just a band-aid.

Should I just go with Painless, or is a simple circuit to throw together cheaper?

Thanks,

Mike #300

If you want simple, bulletproof, and easy, go with a manufacturer's setup. Painless is a good one, and so is Hellroaring Technologies. I actually just ordered one yesterday.

You can build your own, though. Basically, you want to charge both batteries from the alternator, keep them separate while charging, and engage any battery or combination thereof while wheeling, right?

You can do this with a simple diode isolator to charge the batteries and keep them separate. (I have one for sale on this board). Then you run the output of both of these batteries to a marine grade battery switch. This switch lets you run 0-1-2-Both batteries by turning a knob. www.westmarine.com has them. Of course, diodes suck voltage (up to .8V!) and can reduce the total output of the alternator by up to 10%. They are also known to reduce the life of the batteries slightly.

If you want a safer alternative, you can do solenoids. You need to use 100% duty cycle units, and run the alt output to one side, the cable to the battery off the other, and run the trigger output to a toggle switch. You would, of course, need two of these, and would still need the battery selector switch above to control the output.

It's all on how much you want to invest, wire, and control. When I researched this Monday, I found that it was going to be about the same amount to buy all the solenoids and wiring/toggles/switches/etc. than to just buy the Hellroaring unit.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Which did you go with?

Painless or Hellroaring?

Mike #300

Back