• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE track bar and CURRIE johnny joint??

XJONABUDGET

NAXJA Member #980
I have the RE1600 track bar, and i just bought the hd bracket. Can i use a currie johnny joint with the stud welded on it in place of the heim joint? Has anybody done this? What is the thread pitch of the heim in the bar right now?

yep, i'm in the middle of that very mod right now...

just remember that the JJ stud needs to be left-hand threaded!

;)

does currie make the correct joint with stud? What is the thread pitch?

MMIXJ said:
yep, i'm in the middle of that very mod right now...

just remember that the JJ stud needs to be left-hand threaded!

;)

XJONABUDGET said:
does currie make the correct joint with stud? What is the thread pitch?
I just ordered one of these joints to build a new trackbar. They DON'T make it in a LH thread. The stud is 3/4" fine thread.
HTH

BillR said:
I just ordered one of these joints to build a new trackbar. They DON'T make it in a LH thread. The stud is 3/4" fine thread.
HTH

errr, that's not what they told me on the phone when i specifically asked for one w/ a LH thread. either way, guess we'll find out tomorrow when it arrives.

MMIXJ said:
errr, that's not what they told me on the phone when i specifically asked for one w/ a LH thread. either way, guess we'll find out tomorrow when it arrives.
If yours shows up in a LH thread, please PM me and I'll send mine back. I was told on the phone that it wasn't available. :wierd:

start dialing...
JJ arrived at the shop and has been confirmed to be LH thread... soon to be installed on my RE1600.

(don't you love vendors/salespersons who don't know their own product line?)

terry

I just called currie today and they are telling me they dont make the left hand thread 2" johnny joint?????? What part number did you order and recieve? And did you verify it fits in the RE1600 trackbar? Please help!!!!

MMIXJ said:
start dialing...
JJ arrived at the shop and has been confirmed to be LH thread... soon to be installed on my RE1600.

(don't you love vendors/salespersons who don't know their own product line?)

terry

okay, here's the deal...

johnjohn at bigoffroad originally recommended this mod to me and claimed to have done it. so i had him order the parts, but they sent a RH thread JJ (much to my chagrin, since i didn't bother to check until i had the old mount off and the new mount on). :doh:

so i called currie and asked if they made a LH thread JJ and they said yes. so johnjohn ordered me another JJ. however, by now my XJ is up in cheyenne getting some special treatment at TNT customs :D so i had the new joint shipped there. when it arrived i asked them to verify that it was indeed LH thread, and it was. however, the next day i get a call and though it is a LH joint, this one has a 1" stud (and the 1600 takes a .75" stud). :mad: so now i'm just having a custom track bar made 'cuz i'm tired of this runaround and i want my jeep back! :rattle:

so to answer your question-- i don't know. :dunno: i was told that this mod was possible... i've yet to see it.

hope this helps.
P.S. this is the most smilies i've ever used (or will use again).
:looney:

here's the final wrap-up: :lecture:

as i mentioned, i was sent the wrong JJ again, but the pros at TNT customs did a little fab work and hooked me up!
now i've got this beefy 2.5" JJ w/ a 1" stud (they mod'ed my RE track bar w/ a 1" insert and then cut apart and rebuilt
my RE HD bracket to accept the bigger joint:

JJ1.jpg

JJ2.jpg

JJ3.jpg

and for the record, i checked w/ Currie one last time and asked someone to get to the bottom of this: they do NOT
make a lefthand thread in the 2" joint and 3/4" stud (though obviously they do in the 2.5" joint and 1" thread).
so i'm not sure what bigoffroad was thinking since this isn't compatible w/ the RE1600. :dunno:

P.S.
RCP Phx: thanks for the negative rep points... :rolleyes: not my fault i got the runaround.

anyway, hope this helps someone, sometime.

terry

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and follow-up. That's what I was told also, about the 2" LH Johnny Joint not being available.
FWIW, I ended up making my own TB with a 2" JJ and a 3/4" thread LH hiem on the other end. The middle is a piece of 1.5" DOM tubing with welded Poison Spyder inserts for the 3/4" shafts.
Yours looks great, BTW. :wave:

well, good pics man. I just bought the re 1660 track bar and sold my 1600. I only spent $40 difference between the two. That is less than the cost of the Johnny Joint. I think i did good.

Back