• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44

kunaji

Essayons
I was searching through the boneyards near me and I found a 87 wagoneer with what I believe is a Dana 44 in it. It was cold and dark and I didn't feel like getting a better look at that time. The wagoneer had the 2.5 in it, so could it have been a 44? I've only heard of them being in the 4.0 equipped models. If it is a 44, then what gear ratio could it possibly have? The 2.5 was backed by an auto.

87 was the most popular year for the 44 as for it being in a 4cyl jeep im not quite sure, since it was the "towing package" or something like that which had the 44.

i dont know if this is true or not, but i remember reading on a few different threads that its possible that a 4cyl jeep with an auto tranny had numerically higher axle gears...like 4.56 or something. once again only what ive read, no firsthand info. Maybe you could go back and shed some light on this...

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 1987-89 on some (not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Gearing (applies to all axles, I think)

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

Thanks Tim. That's what I wanted to know. You wouldn't happen to have a webpage that has more information that might be relevant would you? Is there any way to check and see what the gear ratio is without being able to turn the wheels? I'm thinking this is a good opportunity to upgrade my axle and regear at the same time with only a little more effort than just installing my lift kit.

If the ID tag is still on there and you can read it the gear ratio is on there. Either way, Pull it if you can get it for a decent price. Even if you don't use it you can turn around and sell it.

I'm down near LaCrosse. The boneyard wants $200 for the axle but if I were to get it I'd end up getting the front and rear axles so I wouldn't need to regear my front. Still, $400 or so to upgrade the rear axle and re-gear doesn't hit the wallet nearly as bad as getting an 8.8 and re-gearing the front. I may just verify the axle is a 44 and sell it too.

Back