• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light came on...Transmission codes came up...Help...

JOHN4WD

NAXJA Forum User
Saturday check engine light came on and 2 codes came up when checked on readout at Auto Zone...PO700-Transmission control system malfunctionand & PO705-Transmission Sensor Circuit Malfunction...Can anybody help me figure out what's going on...Haynes repair manual doesn't help...Any help will be greratly appriciated...Please no guess work...I need facts...Thanks guys...

John...

Found this thread through Google, and I also have the same code.

PO705
Trans Range Sensor
Circuit Malfunction

My check engine light is on and I do not have the use of O.D.. I can turn the truck off and back on and will get over drive back and it works fine. (the check engine light is still on though) Torque converter seems to be locking up just fine, with no isues both in 3rd gear AND with O.D. when I have it.

L.R.

I have the same problem. P0705 sometimes no OD until I turn off the enghine and restart then it comes back.

WHat is it? I have backup lights and it will only start in P or N.

Aaron

jeepurnaz said:
could be the neutral saftey switch. any trouble with b/up lights or starting in park or neutral.

I can NOT start the Jeep when in Nuetral and I know I should be able to. I think I will do the NSS tonight when I get off or tomorrow.

thanks for the HELP it is truely appreciated!

L.R.

Bump, I just re-built the NSS (easy to do) and the check engine light is still on.

I know out of ALL these users on here someone else has had this problem and knows the solution. I looked over the wiring and all my wiring is in GREAT shape, the engine compartment is immaculate. truck was taken care of before I got it.

any one have any ideas?

L.R.

Have you had any luck with this. My 98 just started doing the same thing 2 days ago. I am clueless. I have heard that it may be the TPS. Post the solution if you are able to figure it out. I will do the same.

anotherjeepguy said:
Have you had any luck with this. My 98 just started doing the same thing 2 days ago. I am clueless. I have heard that it may be the TPS. Post the solution if you are able to figure it out. I will do the same.
The TPS is also a transmission sensor. Sensor's are TPS, NSS, Speed.

It WAS my NSS, after re-building it and discoing the battery the problem went away completly. It has been fine since then!

I reccomend re-building your NSS. It costs nothing and it MAY fix your problem.

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
I reccomend re-building your NSS. It costs nothing and it MAY fix your problem.

L.R.

x2

crap takes maybe 10 minutes to do and no more having to wiggle the shifter to get it to start. did mine yesterday and all it took was a 12mm wrench, a crescent wrench and a screwdriver.

I stopped by my mechanics today after my Check Engine light went on. He hooked up his computer and said it was the Transmission Range Sensor. Basically it senses whether the transmission is in park or whatever gear your in. He showed me where it was, on the right side of the transmission, and said it was easy to replace, and wasn't something that needs to be replaced in a hurry cause it won't do any damage, it will only just keep tripping the Check Engine light. To the person who said his check engine light wouldn't go off, you need to use the little plug in computer to reset it.

begster said:
...Transmission Range Sensor...on the right side of the transmission.
ya had a talk with dealership, thats the nuetral safety switch, a $350 part. reason my check engine light was tripped was because of a bad ground, disregard what i said previously.

A side note here. The engine controller will give a P0700 code which means the trans controller has detected a problem. To see what the real problem code is you have to scan the trans controller.

Mike R

JOHN4WD said:
Saturday check engine light came on and 2 codes came up when checked on readout at Auto Zone...PO700-Transmission control system malfunctionand & PO705-Transmission Sensor Circuit Malfunction...Can anybody help me figure out what's going on...Haynes repair manual doesn't help...Any help will be greratly appriciated...Please no guess work...I need facts...Thanks guys...

John...
Yeah , no guess work thats why you went to auto zone ....ha ha why in the hell do people go there? They are parts sales people, not trained technicains Dont you know the codes are just a starting point unless you just wanna "guess" ......lemmie guess ......the FREE scan(where do all these big spenders come from?), Then you need facts from people who cant see your rig from where they are? are you nuts? If you dont know how to check grounds and switches / read a wiring diagram then maybe you should PAY someone who does to do the diagnosing for you. Anyway you go your gonna have to bust out the wallet. I.E. factory service manual and digital multimeter,a bicycle, or some new shoes ...so get used to the idea. there will never be an automobile of any kind thats FREE to drive....yeah I could help with several hours of coaching ..do you have a multimeter at your disposal ? are all grounds clean and tight? battery cables clean and tight? check the basics and give us something to work with here. what year is it? that would help.....so I know what year wiring diagram/diagnostic info to get....

majic_tech said:
Yeah , no guess work thats why you went to auto zone ....ha ha why in the hell do people go there? They are parts sales people, not trained technicains Dont you know the codes are just a starting point unless you just wanna "guess" ......lemmie guess ......the FREE scan(where do all these big spenders come from?), Then you need facts from people who cant see your rig from where they are? are you nuts? If you dont know how to check grounds and switches / read a wiring diagram then maybe you should PAY someone who does to do the diagnosing for you. Anyway you go your gonna have to bust out the wallet. I.E. factory service manual and digital multimeter,a bicycle, or some new shoes ...so get used to the idea. there will never be an automobile of any kind thats FREE to drive....yeah I could help with several hours of coaching ..do you have a multimeter at your disposal ? are all grounds clean and tight? battery cables clean and tight? check the basics and give us something to work with here. what year is it? that would help.....so I know what year wiring diagram/diagnostic info to get....

x2

Guesses are all you will get without some better facts. Take it to a real mechanic and let him figure it out. Most will only charge around $40 to tell you what it is.

JohnX said:
x2

Guesses are all you will get without some better facts. Take it to a real mechanic and let him figure it out. Most will only charge around $40 to tell you what it is.
for $40? ha ha .........I doubt it.....where you gonna find a reputable shop that works for $40 an hour? Its gonna take at least an hour...... reputable shops dont use codes obtained at other places then the testing/inspecting begins and remember clearing the codes after the repair ..I would say plan on at least $80 for diagnosis.....majic_tech=ase certified master tech w/L1 advanced engine performance cert. and chrysler bronze cert....

Back