• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble code 15

sbxj

NAXJA Forum User
my '92 is getting a #15 code. I found ou it's the distance sensor ( I didn't realize there was no speedo cable) My speedometers been acting erratic and affecting the cruise control as well. Has anyone replaced one of these? Any tips? TIA

What a coincidence.........I replaced mine today, after not having any speedometer activity.........and jeepers I now have a good steady speedometer and my cruise control works...........!! Remember now, that this 92 Cherokee is being resurrected for a knock around vehicle and had been setting in a wrecking yard for 4 months before I saved it!!!

If you crawl under the driver's side, up high on the end of the transmission you will see the sensor, unplug the 2 wire connector, using a 13mm wrench unbolt the one bolt holding the "wishbone" keeper and then pull it straight out. On the inside end of the sensor is a plastic gear on a long shaft which pulls out (mine slipped pretty easily). You will see a large nut which retains the sensor portion, you unscrew it and the sensor separates from the housing. This sensor you can get from a parts house, Autozone, OReilly, etc my replacement was made by Borg-Warner and cost app. $40 with tax.

Put them back together and slip it back in......MAKING sure you align it correctly for the number of gear teeth on your plastic gear. The number should be like 5 oclock for the wishbone to hit the lockdowns correctly. Then make your connection and give it a test drive.

You should be able to do this in 10 to 20 minutes easily!!

Good Luck!

MJR is correct, you don't have to pull the whole thing to change the sensor, but if you want to check the condition of the plastic gear for peace of mind it would be the way to go!! :)

Sig220 said:
What a coincidence.........I replaced mine today, after not having any speedometer activity.........and jeepers I now have a good steady speedometer and my cruise control works...........!! Remember now, that this 92 Cherokee is being resurrected for a knock around vehicle and had been setting in a wrecking yard for 4 months before I saved it!!!

If you crawl under the driver's side, up high on the end of the transmission you will see the sensor, unplug the 2 wire connector, using a 13mm wrench unbolt the one bolt holding the "wishbone" keeper and then pull it straight out. On the inside end of the sensor is a plastic gear on a long shaft which pulls out (mine slipped pretty easily). You will see a large nut which retains the sensor portion, you unscrew it and the sensor separates from the housing. This sensor you can get from a parts house, Autozone, OReilly, etc my replacement was made by Borg-Warner and cost app. $40 with tax.

Put them back together and slip it back in......MAKING sure you align it correctly for the number of gear teeth on your plastic gear. The number should be like 5 oclock for the wishbone to hit the lockdowns correctly. Then make your connection and give it a test drive.

You should be able to do this in 10 to 20 minutes easily!!

Good Luck!
What a coincidence is right! So I pulled my sensor today and replaced. The nut on mine was only hand tight and it had debris inside and and a little rubber seal which was thrashed. The new sensor had no seal but a seal retainer (metal washer). Do you recall what you replaced or what came with your new sensor ? Did your's have a black rubber washer? Someone may have removed my TC. Thanks for the assistance

sbxj said:
What a coincidence is right! So I pulled my sensor today and replaced. The nut on mine was only hand tight and it had debris inside and and a little rubber seal which was thrashed. The new sensor had no seal but a seal retainer (metal washer). Do you recall what you replaced or what came with your new sensor ? Did your's have a black rubber washer? Someone may have removed my TC. Thanks for the assistance

What year is yours? Th factory ones should come with the O ring on the sensor, but they may be purchased alone.

Hey MJR, I got the mopar sensor for a '92...it includes a new harness and a metal washer or retainer. All I have is a Hayne's manual and it shows a seal retainer and an adapter seal.

sbxj said:
Hey MJR, I got the mopar sensor for a '92...it includes a new harness and a metal washer or retainer. All I have is a Hayne's manual and it shows a seal retainer and an adapter seal.

This is the part # for a seal package 4883434AA and this should be for the sensor 5252438. Do these match any of yours? You have a O ring seal on the adapter housing and a small seal in the threaded part of the sensor which has a retainer to hold it in place.

MJR said:
This is the part # for a seal package 4883434AA and this should be for the sensor 5252438. Do these match any of yours? You have a O ring seal on the adapter housing and a small seal in the threaded part of the sensor which has a retainer to hold it in place.
The sensor part # is correct...I didn't get the seal package...back to the parts dept. Thanks for your help :)

sbxj said:
The sensor part # is correct...I didn't get the seal package...back to the parts dept. Thanks for your help :)

The sensor should come with everything except the adapter seal.

sbxj said:

The Borg Warner part number was S8025, it came with a short electric cable (adapter?) the sensor and if I remember it had a new seal in the housing. I just put the old with the new, indexed it correctly and it worked........maybe I got extremely lucky?? I just got back from taking the Cherokee to my deer lease and the speedo and cruise worked great as it was a 180 mile round trip. Now, I know I need to change out differential fluid and re spring it, as it seemed every bump I hit I bottomed out. Oh well, a little more work!!:)

Back