• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got the blues

Cupcake

NAXJA Member #1377
Over the last couple of days things have been going wrong with my '91 XJ Sport. I know that my driver side wheel bearing are bad but now other problems seem to be comming up that i hope are occuring because of the wheel bearing. The 1st one is when i slow done or go to stop my front end will start to lurch forward when i have the brakes on. Also now when i start the jeep it takes awhile my dad told me it was the fuel injector. The one that worries me is that i seem to have a vibration in my driveline when i start the jeep.

If it were up to my Dad he said the Jeep would be gone and I dont want that i have grown attached to it. Anyone got ideas if those problems that i listed can be linked to bad wheel bearings. any input would be great

what do you mean by lurch forward? If it nose dives it could mean your rear brakes aren't grabbing as much as they should. When this happens the front ones seems like they're grabbing and you'll nose dive.

kev0 said:
Over the last couple of days things have been going wrong with my '91 XJ Sport. I know that my driver side wheel bearing are bad
how did you determine that?

Also now when i start the jeep it takes awhile my dad told me it was the fuel injector.
you mean that it cranks and cranks and then finally starts? if it was an injector, I think you'd have a rought idle and sputtering. Anyways if the long cranking is a problem try this: turn the ignition on, count to 5 and then crank. If it starts then it will be an issue with the fuel draining from your fuel rail and the pump having to build up pressure before it will fire.

The one that worries me is that i seem to have a vibration in my driveline when i start the jeep.
More specifics: vibes all the time? when accelerating? at a particular speed? are you lifted? How do your ujoints look?

the wheels tended to squeak real bad so i figured the bearings were bad i had someone look at them and he said they were bad (he is a close friend)

it usually vibrates when starting and when i put it into D from Park

i am going to drop it off at a local shop here in a couple of minutes and just let them do what they gotta do money is not an issue now. i have about 3 inches in the front but none in the back. i dont know the difference between a bad u-joint and a good u-joint. I trust the guy enough and my mom does that i dont think he will try to rip is off

Whatever you do don't let your parents persuade you into getting rid of it. Cherokees are solid vehicles. You and your folks have to take into account the age of your vehicle. Things will need attention due to wear, tear, and age. But that is the case with all autos you will ever own.

Have that mechanic do a thorough diagnostic on every inch of that XJ and then decide if you wanna get rid of it due to money constraints. You will most likely find out it is just the "normal" things needing work done.

you mean that it cranks and cranks and then finally starts? if it was an injector, I think you'd have a rought idle and sputtering. Anyways if the long cranking is a problem try this: turn the ignition on, count to 5 and then crank. If it starts then it will be an issue with the fuel draining from your fuel rail and the pump having to build up pressure before it will fire.

any fix for this???

Back