• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfercase wows

littlexj1

NAXJA Forum User
so i bought a 200 xj last march and everything was great....and i take it into the garage last night cause 4 wheel drive was acting funny....to find that the dealership i bought it from never tightened the fill plug on the transercase and that cause some minor problems to say the least.........what the freak!!!
my question to all the fine naxja people is.....i am going to the yard this weekend to pull a transfer case....what years can i pull from, for my 2000, 4.0L, automatic xj??
thanks in advance guys

littlexj1 said:
so i bought a 200 xj last march and everything was great....and i take it into the garage last night cause 4 wheel drive was acting funny....to find that the dealership i bought it from never tightened the fill plug on the transercase and that cause some minor problems to say the least.........what the freak!!!
my question to all the fine naxja people is.....i am going to the yard this weekend to pull a transfer case....what years can i pull from, for my 2000, 4.0L, automatic xj??
thanks in advance guys

96-up with 4.0L and AW4 trans. A 91-95 would bolt up but you would have to change the rear driveshaft to match since the earlier model used an internally lubricated slip yoke. It's easiest to just stay with the 96-up.

going to the yard in the morning and i was wondering if anyone knows the vin code
i need to know which digit and what digits i need to be looking for to get my transfer case

If you are planning on using the vin to identify the year, just look at the headlights and marker lights. The vertical markers are built into the fender on 96+. Also, you can look at the emissions compliance sticker under the hood. It will say the vehicle conforms to the standards for year model 199X.

the 10th digit of the VIN will indicate the year. A 96's 10th digit would be T. Just for the hell of it:
E-84
F-85
G-86
H-87
J-88
K-89
L-90
M-91
N-92
P-93
R-94
S-95
T-96
V-97
W-98
X-99
Y-00
1-2001 etc...

notice they didn't use the O, Q, or U. These refer to model years, and the system doesn't allow for 1/2 years or mid-year manuf. changes. If you want to be sure, print it out & take it w/ you, but as always, you can't be sure of what the previous owner may have changed.

Back