• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

camo headliner?

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
My headliner is sagging very bad, I'm 5' 10" and it is drooping over my head. It looks horrible and flaps in the wind with the windows down. It is yet another reason some people dont want to ride in it. I am thinking of taking it down, and using some 3M adhesive spray to hold a new piece of cloh on. Will that work? if so what material / color do ya think I should use. I dont wanna go with the stock tan, maybe somehing unique such as camo or pinstripe. Gimmie some suggestions

Yup, 3M-77 will hold the new one up there and about anything except for the heavy upholstry fabric works. I used some off-white denim from the $1 table at the local Wally World. Just make sure you clean as much of the old glue and foam off the headliner backer as you can. Don't forget that after you remove the trim there are two large industial strength Velcro pieces above the rear view mirror.

I did the same thing. I did it as a kid in my ford tempo and now in my XJ which had no headliner when I got it. I used camo, It's all that I could find that fit.

Tips. Measure and test fit before you break out the glue. Clean the panel good like Grizzley said. Start from the middle and glue the material going out. (avoids wrinkles) Cut the extra after the glue sets (shrinkage). Leave enough on the front to wrap around. Patience.

Have fun.

I've done 2 headliners in camo fabric, the first I used 3M 77 spray adhesive and it didn't work well at all. It won't adhere in the high temperatures found inside a vehicle, itstarted coming back down the next day. The second one I did (see below) I used a neoprene based spray adhesive I got from an auto upholstery shop, and they told me it wouldn't work because the fabric I'm using is too heavy. I bought extra glue and did it anyway. I ended up pulling off the fabric and regluing it while the headliner was still out of the truck, it did take a lot of glue but so far, so good...I had an upholstery shop do the visors, cost $35 an really finished it off nicely. Also replaced the dome lights with RV lighting, much better for my old eyes.

BTW, my wife found the fabric at Wal Mart. It really helps to iron the fabric before you glue it down. I laid the headliner upside down on saw horses, laid the fabric over the headliner and rough trimmed it so I had about 6" hanging over the edges. Then I folded the fabric a little over halfway back from front to rear, applied glue and slowly worked the fabric back down. Then I folded the other side back and did the same thing. I let everything sit for a day before re-installing.

Img_1354.jpg

Last edited:
Back