• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996+ AW4 ECM or TCM? Auto swap.

1996 and newer AW4s is their Transmission computer integrated into the ECM (Engine Control Moduel)?

Could I easily swap the connectors on my 1996 AW4 and use a pre 96 TCM (Transmission Control Mod)?

I have an 88 XJ,4.0, with a 5sp, I purchased a 1996 Aw4 including the ECM and the complete Engine wireing harness. Id like to not use the expensive ECM and dig into the huge wireing harness. I could probibly trade or sell it and get a Pre 95 TCU.

Has any one used just the ECM for the an AW4 swap. Besides Powering the ECM and connecting it to the Tranny what other inputs would it need to operate correctly? AW4 Type TPS?

ashmanjeepxj said:
1996 and newer AW4s is their Transmission computer integrated into the ECM (Engine Control Moduel)?

Could I easily swap the connectors on my 1996 AW4 and use a pre 96 TCM (Transmission Control Mod)?

I have an 88 XJ,4.0, with a 5sp, I purchased a 1996 Aw4 including the ECM and the complete Engine wireing harness. Id like to not use the expensive ECM and dig into the huge wireing harness. I could probibly trade or sell it and get a Pre 95 TCU.

Has any one used just the ECM for the an AW4 swap. Besides Powering the ECM and connecting it to the Tranny what other inputs would it need to operate correctly? AW4 Type TPS?

I parted out a 96 (I think) almost certain it was anyway it had the TCM under the dash. It didn't have a comfort switch/power switch though.

The harness plug looked the same as the 91 I just bought. I also have the TCM from the 96, but didn't get the harness.

tompatjr said:
I parted out a 96 (I think) almost certain it was anyway it had the TCM under the dash. It didn't have a comfort switch/power switch though.

The harness plug looked the same as the 91 I just bought. I also have the TCM from the 96, but didn't get the harness.

Do you have any pics of the connectors?

I can take some pics.

Here are some pics of what I have.

aw4_127.jpg

aw4_plugs_168.jpg

aw4_plugs2_180.jpg

Engine computer and harness:
engineharness_688.jpg

computer_partnumber_137.jpg

Flex plate with spacer
flexplate_129.jpg

Torque convert and a shifter, the shifter cable is cut but neither of the cables on the tranny are cut. I dont know the story on that.
torqueconverter_514.jpg

Ashman, post a pic of the pin-out on the tcu and I'll match it to one of the two TCU's that I have. I'm pretty sure the tcu and ecm are seperate on the xj's... Judd

MUDTRUK said:
Ashman, post a pic of the pin-out on the tcu and I'll match it to one of the two TCU's that I have. I'm pretty sure the tcu and ecm are seperate on the xj's... Judd

The second and third pics are of the connectors comming off the tranny.
Do they plug directly into the TCU?

There are two plugs on the engine wireing harness that are the same colors, and # wires, and plug into the conectors from the tranny. I assume the TCU would have the same connector?

ashmanjeepxj said:
The second and third pics are of the connectors comming off the tranny.
Do they plug directly into the TCU?

There are two plugs on the engine wireing harness that are the same colors, and # wires, and plug into the conectors from the tranny. I assume the TCU would have the same connector?

the TCU should only have one large connector. I could take a pic but the TCU is my tool box in my freinds shop. If I remember the plug is grey, don know how many pins though.

Those two connectors plug into the two engine harness connectors. The TCU does have one large connector that it plugs into. The wires from the two engine harness connectors send signals back to the TCU connector.

As far as I am aware (read: not sure) the change to the AW-4 control architecture was made ~97-98. Your 96 should be good to go with any HO (91+) version.

This site should help you out: http://www.stu-offroad.com/aw4/

Hope this helps,
Jay

MUDTRUK said:

Are both TCU's 26 pins?

If you have one with this 26 pin connector I could follow this good writeup on a 2000AW4 swap.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/aw4/wiring4tcm.htm

Good info :D

Last edited:
Both TCU's are not 26 pin. I believe the 98 had 29 pins. I'll double check this and let ya know. I will also take pics of my two tcu's and post them for ya. I'll try to take pics tomorrow for ya. Judd

Okay, I checked the two tcu's that I have and the 98 has (26) pins and the 91 has (32) pins. Let me know if I can help ya out, Judd

ashmanjeepxj said:
So who has used a 96+ for an AW4 swap?

I'm using a '99 in mine. The connectors on this are different than the other's I've seen (pics only). The pins themselves may be the same though. I'm acutally using a different connector body. The pins pull out pretty easily with a small jewelers screwdriver.

If the pins aren't the same, you can still swap the tranny side harness will little trouble. You need to pull the pan, but it's not hard to swap the harness. You would just have an extra sensor or two on the tranny that didn't have a plug on the earlier harness.

--Dan

I swapped a 96 AW4 into my 89 3 years ago, using a TCU and harness from an 88 donor rig. I used the 88 FSM schematics and layed out the harness, stripping out the pieces that I needed and labeled them. I then proceeded to graft the 88 harness into my exising harness. Wish I'd finished the writeup on it now.......it looks, drives and functions like factory (I did omit the neutral lockout piece, so I can start it in gear if needed.....not that I ever have)

XJEEPER said:
I swapped a 96 AW4 into my 89 3 years ago, using a TCU and harness from an 88 donor rig. I used the 88 FSM schematics and layed out the harness, stripping out the pieces that I needed and labeled them. I then proceeded to graft the 88 harness into my exising harness. Wish I'd finished the writeup on it now.......it looks, drives and functions like factory (I did omit the neutral lockout piece, so I can start it in gear if needed.....not that I ever have)

There are only two wires that I want to use that dont go directly form the TCU to the Tranny on my 98 computer-96 tranny.

The TPS sensor wire, and the stop light signal wire, do you knwo where those tapped into yoru 89 factory wireing harness?

I still have a TPS for my 5sp (only one connector), do I need the TPS with two connectors plugging into it (automatic equiped cherokees) what wire goes to the TCU? I think the top is 12V the bottom wire is Gnd, the middle wire is the AC singal I think the TCU is looking for. Any ideas?

The stop light sensor, do you knwo what kinda signal that is? just a 12V on or off? Im guessing you didnt need this becuase you didnt use the netural safety circuit. I might do what you did. How did you bypass the Neutral safety switch?

Thanks,

ashmanjeepxj said:
There are only two wires that I want to use that dont go directly form the TCU to the Tranny on my 98 computer-96 tranny.

The TPS sensor wire, and the stop light signal wire, do you knwo where those tapped into yoru 89 factory wireing harness?

I still have a TPS for my 5sp (only one connector), do I need the TPS with two connectors plugging into it (automatic equiped cherokees) what wire goes to the TCU? I think the top is 12V the bottom wire is Gnd, the middle wire is the AC singal I think the TCU is looking for. Any ideas?

The stop light sensor, do you knwo what kinda signal that is? just a 12V on or off? Im guessing you didnt need this becuase you didnt use the netural safety circuit. I might do what you did. How did you bypass the Neutral safety switch?

Thanks,

Two connector TPS is required. Do you have the FSM AW4 schematics? The stop light sensor or TC unlock when brakes are applied? I used the Neutral safety switch, just not the Park ignition lockout. Let me dig a little, I know I have the FSM in pdf....hit me with a PM and include your email so I can send you what I find.

Last edited:
I did some more reading.

It looks like the TPS sensor on my 88 (If I got the dual unit for autos) sends a different impedance signal then the newer TCU's 96+ (26pin type) with differnt TPS.

Has anyone used a newer 96+ Auto TPS sensor on the older 88 engine? or a older TPS sensor on a newer motor?

get an 87-90 TCU.

you can use that with the 96 tranny.

brake sense is only for torque convertor lockup.

the TPS sense wire doesn't really do much (it'll wait till around 3k rpm regardless of throttle input to shift, has little effect on downshifting) the big one is to have COMPLETE communication between the TCU and the NSS.

it will function, and shift automatically with nothing more than power, ground and TCU hookup.

the 96 TCU will not cooperate with the renixII ecu, so don't waste your time trying unless you feel like wiring up the entire 96 harness (I would NOT do that)

as far as AW4s having the TCU integrated into the ECU/PCM. it never happened. ever.

CheapXJ said:
get an 87-90 TCU.

you can use that with the 96 tranny.

brake sense is only for torque convertor lockup.

the TPS sense wire doesn't really do much (it'll wait till around 3k rpm regardless of throttle input to shift, has little effect on downshifting) the big one is to have COMPLETE communication between the TCU and the NSS.

it will function, and shift automatically with nothing more than power, ground and TCU hookup.

the 96 TCU will not cooperate with the renixII ecu, so don't waste your time trying unless you feel like wiring up the entire 96 harness (I would NOT do that)

as far as AW4s having the TCU integrated into the ECU/PCM. it never happened. ever.

So you think it will shift good using my 98 TCU on my 96 Tranny without using a TPS sensor input to the 98 TCU?

Tps dosent really do much? What would it do for me?

Im taking my time, still need the 203 shaft cut and resplined and order the 203-205 adaptor
t_203-205_800.jpg

Back