• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damaged cooling lines

Drewlee77

NAXJA Forum User
As I was reinstalling my disco's (bolt fell out!) I noticed some scary damage. I have no idea how long this has been there, but it appears that my passenger side upper control arm mount rammed my tranny cooling lines and a metal flange. I don't have a camera for pictures. I assume they are tranny cooling lines since they appear to go to the tranny and radiator - but I don't have the towing package (but I have always assumed they all have at least a little cooler, just not a big one like the tow package, yes?). Has anyone else had this problem? the lines are still intact but I doubt they'd survive another hit. What happened to cause this? Seems like I would have noticed it before if it had been there long. Any thoughts?

If they still flow OK bend them out of the way by hand - bottoming the frontend will cause the UCA to contact stuff if your bumpstops are not set low enough...

Matt

PS Yes they are the coller lines and all autos need at least a small cooler - lest they get crispy ;)

Re-route them

When I ran a 2 door '86 XJ at the Tuff Truck Challenge in St. John's in 2002, I sheared one of the lines off and seriously kinked the other.

Since then, on my '90 trail rig, I cut the steel line with a tubing cutter and use high pressure rubber hose to route the tranny lines up over the engine mount. While at it, I well put an in-line filter to keep filings from being recirculated back to the tranny. No more worries.

Like Matt said, the bump stops are set too low. This allows the axle to travel up and cause contact with the UCA mounts and lines.

Bill90XJ

hMMM. I looked under my XJ and what do Ya know. Same Stuff, My line is crushed too. I believe I'm going with a high psi rubber line spliced in place. I bought my XJ last week with a 3" BB of unknown make and stock bump stops. The 17 year old kid used to jump it to impress the chicks... :rolleyes:

Back