• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axlewrap

theslacker

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone acually describe what axlewrap feels like? I just pulled the rear sway bar on my 92 and it seems to take a second longer to get moving after I push the gas. It's got 140K miles and one bad shock passenger rear.

The best way to describe axle wrap - I think - is to imagine putting too much power to a bad spring. The torque twists the axle and body, causing the rear end to stutter, shake or "jump" uncontrolably. You'll know it if you feel it. My 97 XJ has a prob due to sagged springs and tired shocks. Plus it's a 5-spd stick, so the power is more immediate. Hops like it's on drugs if the the road is sticky and my wheels don't spin. I had a 65 Mustang V-8 with a 4-spd, and sagged rear springs. I had to install traction bars to keep it planted. Even then it was tough with good rubber. Teh springs are eating up part of the torque, which twists them, and forces weird geometry into the whole issue....Um. I think.

That sounds more like a trans or a converter problem. allthough it could be a cloged cat. axle wrap it not going to cause a hesitation like you describeed. Does you engine temp go higher than normal? If so I would say it was a cat prob

cat's fine. I've had a bad cat in my old Toy and this is not the same. I still have all the power and the engine and trans are running smooth and strong. It's just at a start, the engine revs normally but the Jeep takes a half second longer for the rear end to go.

OK the chain is not streched because the t case hase it in by pass so you can eliminate the t/case. do you know what the trans line pressure is at idle? This sounds like a trans problem for sure. your front pump in the trans could have a low pressure or the valve for drive could be hanging up. If you have a AAmco by you take it there they will usually look at it for free. if not trans doing a trans flush or just change the fluid your self. good luck Let me know if you need anything else.

So that's axlewrap??? I've experienced it with both my '89 and '99. I always thought it was just poor use of the clutch - letting it up a bit too slow with too much gas (or something). It doesn't happen often - maybe once or twice a month, at most.

The '89 has a block & shackle BB and the '99 has an AAL. Neither one was sagging but the block & shackle flattened out the leaves quite a bit.

Back