• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC, radiator, and oil pressure

luvjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am having quite a few problems with my 2002 Jeep Cherokee Spt 4x4, 106,000 miles on it.

My problem(s) started out with my air conditioning intermittantly blowing hot air. I had the freon flushed and refilled and checked for leaks. This led to the engine getting really hot almost overheating when I had the ac on and was driving, especially in traffic (makes sense), I would turn off the ac and the engine would cool down to an appropriate level. I made sure to check my coolant level regularly and fill when needed. Then coolant started disappearing from the reservoir but there is no detectable leak [at least as far as several repairman have check this out and haven't found anything and were unable to tell me what was wrong]. I have been putting coolant and water directly into the radiator. Recently, my oil pressure started staying low while I was driving [the other day it fell very low and the check gauges light came on when I was at a stop light but as soon as I began to drive it went off and has not come back on since].

All these problems seem to have come along within the span of the last 5 months. I am wondering if perhaps they are somehow interrelated.

I love my Jeep and don't want to get rid of it but recently it seems like one thing after another and several repairman have been unable to give me any idea how to solve any of the problems. I would really like to get more background information before I take it to the repairman this time. My local Jeep dealer does a horrible job with repairs (they once put the wrong type of spark plug in my engine and then when the engine light came on because of misfiring attempted to charge me for new spark plugs).

Thanks for your help.

The most common reason for loosing fluid over time and overheating is a bad radiator cap. If it doesn't hold the pressure you get overflow into the tank and evaporation. I tend to change them every couple of years around here because of the extremes of temps we see.

i found my coolant reservoir empty and had to top it off about every week for a few months trying to figure out my problem, changed the radiator cap and thermostat and still no luck. finally i found out the fins on my waterpump had corroded away to nothing, but within two weeks of my coolant woes, i losing all my oil pressure whenever id stop and id have to tap the gas lightly to get it up. still trying to work that one out, elt me know hwo that does for you too!

luvjeep said:
I am having quite a few problems with my 2002 Jeep Cherokee Spt 4x4, 106,000 miles on it.
Just for clarity, are we talking Jeep Cherokee, or Grand Cherokee? The last of the Cherokees were manufactured in early 2001. Production of the XJ was halted before the end of the 2001 model year for other Jeeps, and there is no 2002 Cherokee.

What vehicle are we dealing with here?

XJpax said:
i found my coolant reservoir empty and had to top it off about every week for a few months trying to figure out my problem, changed the radiator cap and thermostat and still no luck. finally i found out the fins on my waterpump had corroded away to nothing, but within two weeks of my coolant woes, i losing all my oil pressure whenever id stop and id have to tap the gas lightly to get it up. still trying to work that one out, elt me know hwo that does for you too!

I too have no oil pressure when I stop and the idle goes below 1200 or so. I'm gonna have a compression/leak down test done. I'm pretty sure its either valve cover gasket, head gasket, or cracked head.

Back