• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leaking from oil filter housing!

tomwest49

NAXJA Forum User
Oil is leaking from the oil filter housing on my sons 1990 Laredo. The oil filter is not leaking. The oil is coming from the area where the housing is attached to the engine. Can I get replacement gaskets and where can I get them to fix this problem?

The L-adapter that connects the oil filter to the block has O-rings that have probably gotten hard or cracked. The o-rings can be found at the dealership. You may need a torx wrench (t-60?) to get the adapter off. The bolt is very close to the frame rail and difficult to get to. I put the torx driver inside two box wrenches and taped them together then used a small breaker to get it off.

Yes, go to www.madxj.com to see a good write up. It under technical, you want the oil filter write up. It shows all the pieces and gives you all the pictures you need. Yes, buy the 3 O-rings at your dealership, don't try to find parts that will work, buy the right parts the first time at the dealer.

I do recommend you disonnect the NEG battery cable before you start this job, you are working next to the starter. Also it common to coat the new O-rings with motor oil to help them seal, they do work if you install dry but dab a little oil on them. Apply a film like you do for an oil filter

I also had my 88 XJ on a lift when i changed mine. I had to go at it from below with a long hand braker bar. Use a short length socket and a breaker bar, apply stead pressure and it should rotate free. Do not use a jerking motion you can break off the "bolt" and they you will be looking for a new bolt at the dealer.

Also I'd recommend you stay with the stock filter type, don't do the converstion MadXJ talks about. The mod puts the filter right next to the starter, just look too dangerous and you could complete the circuit with the filter if you were not careful.

Last edited:
martin said:
Also I'd recommend you stay with the stock filter type, don't do the converstion MadXJ talks about. The mod puts the filter right next to the starter, just look too dangerous and you could complete the circuit with the filter if you were not careful.
Andreas notes that in the writeup, recommending you disconnect the negative terminal while changing the oil filter - if you are using the longer, larger-capacity filter. This is the filter I use on my 96 HO and know plenty of others have done the same. The added filtration and even the extra 1/2 quart total capacity are appreciated, and I also like the fact that the oil filter isn't UPSIDE DOWN when I do a change.

Yucca, the guy asked how to fix his oil leak, not how to modify his XJ to the more common Motorcraft FL-1A. I studied MadXJs write up and decided to keep my 88 XJ stock when it comes to the oil filter mount. I also gathered from the write up I could change out the male threaded section that connects to the filter with a English thread. This would allow use of the more plentiful style filter. I decided not to change out that fitting since it rises up into the filter and prevents draining the filter.

As for changing the oil, if you use a filter with a good check valve all you have to do it place a couple of shop towels over the front axle shift motor harness then remove the filter. Any oil that drips falls on the towels and then you just toss then in the trash.

The AMC XJ may have some strange things but that what makes it an AMC design. All of us who post on here like working on our XJs, if we did not we'd not post on here with answers to problems.

I just did this on my 94. Orings form the dealer are about $3. That t-60 bolt is torqued to about 80 ft-lbs. You'll need to make some space under the vehicle to get at it. I used ramps in the front and jackstands in the back to make enough room. I also removed the starter. It made for much better swing room for the breaker bar.

On an aside, if your motor mounts are questionable, replace the RH one while you have the adaptor off. Beats doing it again.

Scott

Back