• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB locker gurus: help with loose parts

JEEPZZ

NAXJA Forum User
When I use my Jeep in 4x mode lately I hear an all too familiar grinding noise. I've had my ARB put back together 3 times (4th is now due) due to screws coming loose, things coming apart, etc.
I pulled out my front magnetic fill plug to find this:

dsc04230.jpg

The one on the right is the new one I found stuck to the plug. The other 2 are from previous rebuilds. I've had this ARB (D30) put back together 3 times from 3 different shop over the last 7 years or so. I don't have the gearing know how so I leave this stuff to the pros.(?) Last time around all but 1 screw had back all the way out. I hate to see what it's going to look like this time around. Strangely enough the grinding noise I hear only occurs in 4 wheel drive (both when power is applied to the front axle & coasting), even though in 2x the gears and driveline spin anyways.

Is it that no one can get it right or is this just a common problem with ARB lockers???

I belive you have to replace those lock rings everytime you pullem.
Also check that your housing is not bent. If it is that arb is getting worked to death.
:)

JEEPZZ said:
Is it that no one can get it right or is this just a common problem with ARB lockers???

My understanding is that ARB lockers can be harder to install - they aren't as "accomodating" as normal full case lockers. Everything has to be just "so" in order for the install to last.

Start asking around to the guys in your local club that have ARBs. They will know which local shop to take it to. At least that is my experience.

r@m

I had the same problem w/ a ARB in my TJ Dana 35. I believe it was caused by an accidental switching on during wheelspin. The problem occured a few weeks after that incident. Anyway it was sent back to ARB w/ a cracked case along one of the bolt holes, and they sent it back stamped rebuilt right above where the crack still was. That pretty much turned me off along w/ the usual air line and compressor(warrantied twice inside a year) problems. I put the Lockright that I used previously back in. That piece could have been in the hsg. from a previous failure too. The last time my rr. axle was apart I pressure washed the inside of the hsg. to clean out all the metal from the ARB. When I tipped it over during assy. some of the pieces you pictured and some other pieces from a Detroit Gearless that I grenaded prior to the ARB were still in the area between the pinion brgs. and fell out on the floor!!!

Brian

Back