• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow downshift.........any ideas?

witty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, my 91 laredo takes forever to downshift, when i am crusing in OD and need more power to climb a hill or pass i almost have to floor it to get it to downshift!!. What could be the problem? and help would be great, thanks!..... Chris.

Sounds like a bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). That was one of my symptoms when my TPS went out. If you have replaced the TPS check to make sure its calibrated correctly.

HTH,
-Dave

that or the throttle valve cable.

you can adjust it by pressing on the D shaped piece of metal on the cable end and then sliding the body of the cable away from the throttle body.

afterwards, put the gas pedal to the floor, listen for the clicks and then it's adjusted.

Hi, thanks for the help guys!, ok these may be stupid questions, but i am new to this jeep thing....where is the TPS? and which cable is the throtle valve cable? also how do i know how much to adjust it? thanks.............

Back