• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum disconnect axle

jeep88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am tired of trying to get the shift motor in my 88 to engage into 4wd. Can anyone tell me how to get it to be engage all the time. Someone there is a way but didn't give me all the details on doing it. The ring that is on the axle shaft is that were the fork rides on. http://http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/jeep/ The inner part (smooth round part) of it I mean. I just asking my questions before I go into something and messing things up. Do I push the ring over to the engaged side and then put the fork back on in the engaged side to. If I do the washer trick, how many do I have to use and what size is the correct size.
All help is greatly appericated,
ED

jeep88xj said:
I am tired of trying to get the shift motor in my 88 to engage into 4wd. Can anyone tell me how to get it to be engage all the time. Someone there is a way but didn't give me all the details on doing it. The ring that is on the axle shaft is that were the fork rides on. http://http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/jeep/ The inner part (smooth round part) of it I mean. I just asking my questions before I go into something and messing things up. Do I push the ring over to the engaged side and then put the fork back on in the engaged side to. If I do the washer trick, how many do I have to use and what size is the correct size.
All help is greatly appericated,
ED

Yes you push the "ring" over both axle splines. The washes work but before I had the Posi-lok I used a small hose clamp around the shaft that the fork is on. It works well and does not require you do take the shaft out and is easy to remove. Cap your lines if you keep them amd remimber your little green dash light will not work anymore.

jeep88xj said:
will the hose clamp move in time or it will it stay there for good.

Depends how tight you make it. It really gets no pressure it just keeps the fork from moving back over. It is a metal clamp on a metal shaft so it will be fine

cool thanks for all the help. I really didn't want to take the fork out of the motor and mess with all that stuff. This is easier.

The washer mod really isn't hard to do at all. Plus, there's not the chance of a clamp loosening up. If memory serves me correctly, it was 10 -11 washers and moving one e-clip. It's what I'd recommend.

I have an '89 disconnect axle. It doesn't have any washers or clamps attached to it yet the fork keeps the collar in the locked position by default. I have never taken the time to figure out why mine is different than everyone elses. The only thing I can add is that while the vacuum lines are disconnected the valve still is. FWIW

I got the axles connected.I blocked the vacuum nipples and the fork can't move with them blocked. Boy that was a fun job when it is like 12* F outside. I was frozen to the bone. It felt a different different driving but I guess I will have to get use to it. How tight of a turn can I make now with the axles being connected all the time. In 2WD I mean I know you can't do a tight turn in 4wd.
4wd works great there was a little snow on the end of my driveway. When I pulled in I didn't give it enough gas and the rear tires spun a little so I put it neutral and then in 4wd and then back in drive and went up the driveway. I don't like the idea of shifting on the fly so can keep putting the tranny into neutral and then shift into 4wd and then back into drive and go on my way.

jeep88xj said:
I got the axles connected.I blocked the vacuum nipples and the fork can't move with them blocked. Boy that was a fun job when it is like 12* F outside. I was frozen to the bone. It felt a different different driving but I guess I will have to get use to it. How tight of a turn can I make now with the axles being connected all the time. In 2WD I mean I know you can't do a tight turn in 4wd.
4wd works great there was a little snow on the end of my driveway. When I pulled in I didn't give it enough gas and the rear tires spun a little so I put it neutral and then in 4wd and then back in drive and went up the driveway. I don't like the idea of shifting on the fly so can keep putting the tranny into neutral and then shift into 4wd and then back into drive and go on my way.

Unless you have a locker don't worry about the turning it is an open diff and will not cause any issues. I hope you put the clamp on cause over time the vac motor can leak if it is just capped

I just put the hoses on them. The two that are side by side I put a hose that connects them both and the one is by itself I just capped it off. I tried to push on the fork and it would not move. When it gets warmer ( it going to get up to 50's by friday) I fix it then. I thought this was as good as the clamp, which I found out I didn't have a small enough one once I got to far into the project. I have used the 4wd twice so far and no problems yet.
Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Back