• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radio and blower both out at once

jephs422

NAXJA Forum User
I have just recently started driving my 88xj that has sat for three years. I gave it the once over and everything except for the left turn signal works. Well today when I started it, the radio and the a/c-heater would not come on, and the lighter stopped working. and the power antenae doen't come up like it is supposed to when the radio comes on. I checked the radio fuse, and the blower fuse, and both of them are good. I'm at a loss. Are any of these on the same circuit somewhere?

I'm pretty sure the radio and lighter share a ground, and possibly also a hot circuit wire, so I'd be looking for a broken wire or a faulty ground, somewhere upstream from the fuse. You might start, if you have a test light, by seeing if there's any potential between the hot terminal of the lighter and chassis ground. If there is, look for a missing ground. If there is not, look for a broken or pulled wire somewhere on the positive side. Double check that fuse, probe the output end of it with the test light, and then work your way downstream.

I just looked at my 88 the blower quit too , but it didnt affect the radio or lighter .. The fuse for it although not blown was somewhat corroded and after some cleaning it work now , possibally you need to remove your fuses and rub them with a piece of emmory cloth to clean them , do them 1 at a time so you dont put them in the wrong place when your done .... hope that helps some if not i will try to see if i can help again

Okay, so after further inspection, this is everything (so far) that went out all at the same time.

Blower
Front wipers
Rear wiper
Radio
Lighter
Right turn signal-maybe left too, but it was already out

Is there a main fuse like in my chevy truck.....

Not sure if you have the auto or manual trans, but a common problem with the manual is that the clutch master cylinder leaks fluid onto the fuse block causing all sorts of problems! Next, find your grounds and check to make sure that they are all good!

It's an automatic. I checked my fuse block under the dash, and they all seemed good. I pulled them all out and cleaned them up one by one, but still nothing. I'm totally stumped....And it really sux now, cause it's raining....

You checked the fuses and you say they are good...is there power to them? you probably need to look at the fusable links that are connected to the starter relay. they feed power to the fuse box and ignition switch. If they are ok then id start looking at the ignition switch.

okay, does anyone have a good diagram of my fuse block? I looked in my Chiltons and Haynes, but both of them are so generic, I'm not sure fi i am missing anything. What about the relays under the hood? There are 4 of them. But I can't seem to find any dagram on which one does what?!?!?!

jephs422 said:
Okay, so after further inspection, this is everything (so far) that went out all at the same time.

Blower
Front wipers
Rear wiper
Radio
Lighter
Right turn signal-maybe left too, but it was already out

Is there a main fuse like in my chevy truck.....

All of the stuff mentioned is stuff "that only works when the ignition is on". That's a clue. It could be something with the ignition switch, or the relays that it controls. It could also be in the power distribution block out under the hood (whoops... do XJ's this old HAVE one of them?).

If the HAZARD LIGHTS work, but the TURN SIGNALS don't, it's almost certainly an ignition-circuit issue.

I'd grab a voltmeter, and check for juice at each of the fuse-block locations with the ignition on....

Den

YAY!!!..Thanks guys. After eliminating everything else, I took out the ignition switch and replaced it. Voila! Everything works again. I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I never would have without your guy's help..

Back