• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ 44 Disc's on an XJ 44

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I ALREADY SEARCHED and didn't find exactly what I am looking for.

First off I Hate Brakes.

I have a XJ 44 that I am building and am considering installing ZJ rear brakes.
Is a ZJ 44 (not ZJ 35) rear discs a direct swap on an XJ 44?

Finally how hard of a conversion is this?

Last edited:
96XJCLASSIC said:
I ALREADY SEARCHED and didn't find exactly what I am looking for.

First off I Hate Brakes.

I have a XJ 44 that I am building and am considering installing ZJ rear brakes.
Is a ZJ 44 (not ZJ 35) rear discs a direct swap on an XJ 44?

Finally how hard of a conversion is this?

the ZJ D44al and D35 use the same brakes and brackets which use the same mounting as c-clipped D35/chysler 8.25 and newer TJ D44's

the install for you will be the same whether the ZJ discs are off a d35 or D44al

I've done a ton of reading up on this and want to do it to the Dana 44 that I'm building, but I've yet to find a junkyard that would part with the brakes without me having to buy the entire rearend! If anyone's got any suggestions on how to talk a boneyard operator into giving up the brake parts I'd greatly appreciate it.

Robert

You could always try a dealer, they replaced thousands of WJ aluminum rears and transfer cases, some dealers had cyclone fenced enclousers built and put tents over them to hide the things... I noticed that the big dealer by me still has the fence up as well as the tent...

XJWheelie said:
I've done a ton of reading up on this and want to do it to the Dana 44 that I'm building, but I've yet to find a junkyard that would part with the brakes without me having to buy the entire rearend! If anyone's got any suggestions on how to talk a boneyard operator into giving up the brake parts I'd greatly appreciate it.

Robert

Find a yard w/ Crown Vic police cars where they were trying out for an episode of "Cops"... local boneyard has several & sometimes the officers go "off-roadin'" and tweak the rear axles in the process. They're a dime a dozen around here & they had one w/ a bent rear housing. Got all the brake hardware (both sides) for $125. Ya need the Rubicon axle plate spacers (About $4 each) and you'll need to slightly ream out the Crown Vic rotors to fit the D44 hub. (Ya can do that with a drum sander and rough grit drums.) Don't forget to get the emergency brake cables while yer there!

RichP said:
You could always try a dealer, they replaced thousands of WJ aluminum rears and transfer cases, some dealers had cyclone fenced enclousers built and put tents over them to hide the things... I noticed that the big dealer by me still has the fence up as well as the tent...

Wj uses a different brake assembly than the ZJ (lug patter is different too)

Back