• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Noise ..

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Applying the knowledge i have learned from the forums using past threads, I have determined that my brake hiss is because of a dying brake booster. This probelm was remedied by taking the booster off my junked xj and putting it in the working one and the hiss has gone away considerably.
My next problem ( they never end ..lol) was when driving in a echoing area where i can here the jeep better i can here this shh shh shh coming from the front brake area. Once again upon my research i came to conclude it was a worped rotor or a sticky caliper, so i bought replacements from napa and replaced them. The shh shh shh noise has calmed down a lot but is still there as if the pads and rotors are still at contact. This noise occurs when not using the brakes--once i use them the noise dissapears. I am not sure what i am to do now ? I have also re-bleed the system and installed the included anti-rattle clips (are they useful at all ?)?

Anyway any suggestion would help...
thx
pete

I think a little bit of that noise is probably inevitable. Remember that disk brakes have no mechanism to retract the pads, but depend only on a combination of disk runout and the springiness of the piston seals to pull the pads a little back. Because of this, even a tiny bit of stiffness in the pistons or in the mating surfaces of caliper and pads to the knuckle could cause a little light drag. If you're still worried, the next step is probably to take the pads out and make sure the part of the steering knuckle they ride on is nice and smooth and free of rust and not badly eroded, make sure that the caliper pistons can be pushed in without binding and that the sliding pins for the caliper are not rusted or galled.

If that doesn't do it, and you're really compulsive, new calipers are probably next. I wouldn't bother if the brakes are working well.

All the above is assuming you've checked for other sources of noise and play, such as a bad wheel bearing.

Back