• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jumpy Jeep???

BuckFever

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, first time here and first thread as well. This place was recommended by another colleague on another forum. Anyway, wondering if you can help me out. I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee w/ a 4.0 6. Completely standard.

A while back the jeep started having engine trouble. Basically what happens is when I press the gas from a stand-still(stop light, stop sign, driveway, etc.) The jeep does not have power somewhat like it's not getting fuel and becomes extremely jumpy; basically like a rooke driver pressing the brake and the pedal at the same time with the stop and go action. This happens for about 100 yards on most occasions and then it goes like there are no problems.
I've noticed over time the idle is getting extremely slow and causes the engine to almost die in some cases.
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Hopefully something I can fix as well because I can't afford an auto shop.
So far I've been told the fuel pump, fuel filter, CPS sensor, and Oxygen Sensor. Personally my experience with fuel pumps is once they go, they go. With fuel filters, I can't imagine why the jeep would run fine after a hundred yards or so, and as for the sensors, NO IDEA!!! Your help is appreciated. I would really like to fix this up into a hunting machine but there's no point if it's going to run like crap. Thanks again.

Sooooo crazy! I noticed you were from Arizona. I am from Tucson and I also have a 97 Cherokee w/ 4.0. In the spirit of a true jeeper I have forced my wife to drive a jeep as well. She loves her 97 Grand Cherokee Limited, which I happily found one with a straight six instead of V-8. Well her 4.0 liter is doing the exact same thing your jeep is doing. Is your check engine light on? Mine is a gives me the following codes: 24-Throttle position sensor, 21-O2 sensor. Save yourself $50, it is not the TPS! I already tried that. I'm gonna take my O2 sensor off of my Cherokee and put it on my wife's Grand Cherokee and see what happens. If you get yours fixed let me know. I tested the fuel pressure with a tester my jeep is fine.

I had a similar problem with my 91. I replaced the CPS and that got rid of the "jumpy" problem. You may want to check your fuel injectors too.

This morning mine would only start if I pumped the gas, it needed to be brought up above idle immediately. If it idled it died. I had just dumped some gas into it the day before that had been sitting in a gas can for about 6 months. I thought it might be the old gas so I went to the gas station and filled up with new gas and dumped in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, the kind that unclogs dirty injectors. Now it runs fine. Maybe try the cleaner, $3.75 at the gas station, even if it doesn't help, it's cheap and eliminates that possibility.

BuckFever: try unplugging both of your O2 sensors. If it runs right without the sensors plugged in, then one or both of your sensors must be bad.

Unplugging the O2 sensors forces the XJ's computer to stop trying to read information from the sensors & fall into "default mode." If it runs perfectly in "default mode," then you know it's your O2 sensors.

I'm not sure, but I think you have to remove BOTH O2 sensors, to get the XJ to run in "default mode." This test cannot be done with the CPS, BTW.

I am going upto Yuma today, might be able to stop by. Sounds like what happened to me before. I would check the easy things first. When was the last time you had a tuneup? I would change out the plugs and wires. If it still does it check your ignition module then sensors/injectors. Where in Arizona are you located and do you have any tools?

Matt

Back