• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air filter soaked in minutes

Steve2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I am looking at a Grand Cherokee that runs fine cold but just spews out oil when it is hot out of the throttle body and valve cover.
If any one has any idea of what is happening it would be a great help to see if I should buy this or not.
It is a 94 with 160.000 on it.
I have tried to search and could not seem to come up with anything on serious blow by like this. thanks in advance

Must be a good deal if your considering buying something with a known problem like that.Oil pressure pegged out ? Overfilled with oil ? Bad oil filter,plugged/restriction ? and these are the easy fixes.Theres alot of what ifs,Man you gotta rethink how bad you want this rig.

If its the 4.0L, then its probably blow-by. Clean the valve cover and make sure you get a good seal on the valve cover gasket. I'd use RTV or the new ruber gasket (not sure if it will work with older motors) instead of the cork gasket.
Tom

Yeah, nlike others have said, if it is the 4.0 they are prone to significant blowby. You can clean out the valve cover and the breather tubes but it will still soak a filter over time; especially in the winter with the condensation. I made up a system (couple of inline pvc traps) that dropped the oil and water out of the air but got tired of draining it. Went the puke tube route.
BSD

Mine doesn't even go to the airfilter anymore. Just vents through a breather. I cleaned out the valve cover and junk, replaced the hard lines with regular lines and put a breather on the grommet that goes to the airfilter. So it can't put oil in the filter if it doesn't go there.

Back