• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod Ends

Alaskaflyr

NAXJA Forum User
I've got my XJ all torn apart installing my new lift and my tie rod ends are shot, I'll eventually upgrade to a Heavy duty tie rod system but for now I would just like to change out the ends. I've heard that the ZJ tie rod ends will work and they are beefier than the stock XJ ones. Can anyone either confirm or deny this claim or have any suggestions on what tie rod ends will work with my exsisting set up???

Thanks

Gary

The stock ones will work fine, they rarely wear out. The track bar and the drag link ends take much more abuse than the tie rod ends.

The ZJ tie rods are the same, as are the TJ, MJ, etc. What your probably thinking of is the V-8 ZJ tie rod, which is solid, vs your hollow one.

nate said:
The ZJ tie rods are the same, as are the TJ, MJ, etc. What your probably thinking of is the V-8 ZJ tie rod, which is solid, vs your hollow one.
I'm needing a change here, too. So is the ZJ upgrade worth it? According to several online sources, the ZJ tie rod itself is heavier duty than the XJ's, and its tie rod ends are a bit more robust as well.

Yeah the V-8 ZJ tie rod is solid, vs your hollow one.... harder to bend, so better.
I have had real good luck with my RE Chromoly tie rod though. Has taken a few hard hits and it's still straight. Can't say that about the stock one.

As for the rod ends, they are the same thing for ZJ, XJ, MJ, TJ as I stated before.

Back