• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Radiator Hose

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Jeep Comanche with somthing I have never seen before. The lower radiator hose is cut in the middle and in there is a pipe inserted into the two ends and there are some wires comming out of the pipe. I will post a pic tommrow if need, its to wet out now. But does anyone have an idea of what it can be?

Thanks
Chris

Could be an inline heater for the cooling system for cold weather use.

lemonparty.jpg

Found It...Its called an "American Air"???? I looks like it can be a temp sensor for the electric fan then(well thats what it says). What do you all think? If it is for the electric fan this would work in my favor when I change over to an open system. Here is a pic. What do you guys think?

site1040.JPG

so does anyone think this is really a switch for the electric fan of what? I would trace the wires but they go into the huge electrical taped bundle.

put a meter on it and see if it works, put the meter on when the engine is cold then start it up, to get the heat up a bit put some cardboard in front of the radiator, if it still works you will see the resistance go either up or down. Guess you could also put it in pot of boiling water too..

bzdel2441 said:
I have an 89 Jeep Comanche with somthing I have never seen before. The lower radiator hose is cut in the middle and in there is a pipe inserted into the two ends and there are some wires comming out of the pipe. I will post a pic tommrow if need, its to wet out now. But does anyone have an idea of what it can be?

Thanks
Chris

My guess is the spring inside the hose must have corroded and broken apart at some point and someone jerry rigged a pipe inside the hose to stop it collapsing under suction from the water pump.

"There is a part that is offered by Mopar that is a splice in the lower radiator hose that allows use of the old Temp sensor, but this part is rather expensive in comparison with the other parts of the upgrade."

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/12_dec/radiator/radiator.html

"Chrysler used to supply a coupling that was to be installed in the lower rad hose-basically a sleeve with a port for your switch. I was told that it is no longer supplied and it was fairly pricey."

http://jeepsunlimited.com/xj/cooling/cool.htm

I wonder if this could be that elusive splice?

Back