• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

excess fluid in auto tranny

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys you can taunt torment make fun whatever but I drove around for probably 12,000 miles w/ 7qs of tranny fluid in it. Not sure which tranny I have but its a 89xj 4.0 automatic w/ a d35. And for all the smart a$$ remarks coming can fo. I'm only 20 and never had any body over my shoulder telling me what to do i started by taking things apart and trying to put it back together. The xj was my first experience w/ any wrenchen what so ever and the tranny flush was first thing I did to it. Is it going to crap out soon and what are the side affects of this.

Re: Tranny

So I was reading some other threads on this and I guess the tranny "pukes" out the excess fluid out belhousing and/or tranny pan. I do remember seing gunk in this area after flush.
One question if my starter was left off for a month or so with xj outside in rain wind ect. will this effect my fly wheel or any of the bellhousing and tranny inards.

How'd you manage 12K with excess fluid? The AW4 (that's what you have) tends to "spit" when overfilled, and would knock itself down to about 5qts or so. Spitting happens thru the dipstick/fill tube.

The best thing to do if you realise that you have overfilled the box is to just pull the plug, drain, and refill with FOUR QUARTS ONLY of fluid. Drive around for a bit, and recheck with the engine idling, transmission at operating temperature (thus, the drive) and gear selector in PARK. If you're not right there, you'll be pretty damn close.

Overfilled transmissions can suffer from foaming in the fluid, which is another form of cavitation and can cause trouble if left unchecked.

As far as weather damage inside the bellhousing from no starter - how exposed was the hole? If the hood was down, you will just want to check for any crud or small animals when you go to put the starter back in. If the hood was up or gone, I'd pull the inspection plate at the bottom of the bellhousing and turn the flexplate around (or flywheel, if yours is a stick) to see if there is anything more than surface rust to deal with.

Apart from that, I don't see any trouble.

5-90

5-90 said:
Drive around for a bit, and recheck with the engine idling, transmission at operating temperature (thus, the drive) and gear selector in PARK.
You sure about that? I've packed away my FSM, but am pretty sure the dipstick even says to check in 'N' after getting to operting temp and shifting through the available gears.

nate said:
The tranny holds like 15 quarts. You mean you dropped the pan and afterward put 7 in it? Were did you get the idea to put the much?
Yeah I droped the pan to change filter. And I was wondering what in hell would make me put soo much fluid in today so i went to look at the owners manual and it was a misprint but said 7. I wonder if I could get a free tranny if I provide proof even though its an 89.
Thanx for the help guys.

Yucca-Man said:
You sure about that? I've packed away my FSM, but am pretty sure the dipstick even says to check in 'N' after getting to operting temp and shifting through the available gears.

I'm not sure which I hate more - being right or being wrong! You got me there - even ATSG sez Neutral.

However, the figure of 15 quarts is incorrect (sorry, Nate) because a "Service" fill is 4 quarts (fluid change) and an "Overhaul Fill" is 8 quarts (from dead empty.) - the total fluid capacity is given as 8.45 quarts per FSM.

Gimme a break - I'm still trying to score a cheap NV3550 so I can toss my BA5 into the scrap bin...

5-90

Mike1331 said:
So if I replace the filter would I be needing an "overhaul" fill.

No, if you change the filter is a "service" fill (transmission service is fluid and filter change.) An "Overhaul" fill is what you do when you take the box out, tear it to bits, and put it back together.

So, 1 case = 12 quarts = 3 changes.

5-90

You're probably right. I have no idea what the AW-4 holds, just 10-15 quarts is pretty standard for a tranny. I didn't post that to tell anyone that's what it holds... that why I said "like 15 quarts"... should have said "something like 15 quarts" though.
With the 8 quarts, are you considering the torque convertor as well, there's another 3-4 quarts in there?

5-90 said:
I'm not sure which I hate more - being right or being wrong! You got me there - even ATSG sez Neutral.

However, the figure of 15 quarts is incorrect (sorry, Nate) because a "Service" fill is 4 quarts (fluid change) and an "Overhaul Fill" is 8 quarts (from dead empty.) - the total fluid capacity is given as 8.45 quarts per FSM.

Gimme a break - I'm still trying to score a cheap NV3550 so I can toss my BA5 into the scrap bin...

5-90

nate said:
You're probably right. I have no idea what the AW-4 holds, just 10-15 quarts is pretty standard for a tranny. I didn't post that to tell anyone that's what it holds... that why I said "like 15 quarts"... should have said "something like 15 quarts" though.
With the 8 quarts, are you considering the torque convertor as well, there's another 3-4 quarts in there?

Yup - torque converter, valve body, and all the accumulators...

If you want a slushbox that holds a lot of fluid, you should check out some of the heavy Allisons - where the capacities are listed in gallons, rather than quarts... Ugh.

5-90

Only if you parked your XJ upside down (rain could puddle there)are you going to cause any damage or problems to the flywheel by leaving the starter off for several days. I got my start the same way you did. Sometimes it helps to take pics before you disassemble something. Keep on wrenchin'. Ask for help before something turns to crapola.

Back