• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeeky Belt

AndrewXJ

NAXJA Forum User
In my 88 XJ, my belt has been squeeking alot. Last night I went and tightened the bolt under the PS pump ALOT and it seemed to calm down. But now I still hear it a little. Should I continue to tighten that bolt or what?

Wouldn´t tighten it too much, can cause bearing problems in the belt driven components.
Squeaky belt is often a sign of a front crankshaft oil seal leak and/or a coolant leak. Coolant and oil will both make a belt chirp pretty good in the cold.
The only cure I´ve found that works, is to rag down the belt, a section at a time (turning the motor over a little at a time, don´t even try it with the motor running), with a silicone spray that is labeled rubber safe.
I´ve tried most everything else at one time or another, the silicon spray is the only thing I´ve found to reliably work. Cleans the oil off and softens the rubber.

I have set a personal standard to replace my fan belts at 4 years, regardless of how few miles it has. As the belt get over it breaks downs and leaves that rubber dust on stuff. I have a 88 XJ and liked Goodyear belts, they have diagonal cross cuts on the back to reduce noise as they run.

Take off your old belt and wipe down each pulley. Then spin each accessory pulley to make sure there is not roughness. I replaced the factory idle pulley by the AC compressor when I changed my belt. It was very rough.

Do a search for the Kriket II belt tensioner, buy one at NAPA and use it to install a new belt once you have all the pullies clean. Tension the new belt to 180-200 lbs if recall the value correctly. Then just run you XJ and don't worry, a "used" belt is to be 140-160 lbs. You will measure the tension on the section of belt between the Power Steering pump and the idle pulley next to the AC compressor.

PS my belt broke when the harmonic balance started creeping so look at that also while you have it apart. If you have over 100K miles on your XJ then it may be preventive maintenance to change out the crankshaft damper now, I found out in 2000 my 88 XJ had the factory belt on it. It broke one cold night as I went home, the XJ had 115,000 miles on it. I cooked the thermostat. Replace your belt and harmonic balancer if the age is unknown to prevent what I went through.

Last edited:
Back