• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faulty Seat Belt Warning Light 89 XJ

tom63

NAXJA Forum User
Mine comes on for about 5 sec when I turn the ignition on but after that it goes away. Where does the wiring from the buckle go to? I'd like to get mine working to where it comes on if the seat belt isn't buckled. Thanks.

My 88 Limited doesn´t have any buckle contacts. I just make sure no carpet is stuck in the rewinders and the centrifical brake is clean, lubed and functioning. There was a TSB for the seat belts in the early XJ, don´t really remember if it was for the 89 or not, but do seem to remember, it came out sometime in the early 90`s.

As far as i can remember there is no light but rather a buzzard. When the car is started it buzzes for 5-10sec then it quits when you plug in the seat belt or let it go then it quits.

pete

8Mud said:
My 88 Limited doesn´t have any buckle contacts. I just make sure no carpet is stuck in the rewinders and the centrifical brake is clean, lubed and functioning. There was a TSB for the seat belts in the early XJ, don´t really remember if it was for the 89 or not, but do seem to remember, it came out sometime in the early 90`s.
My '88 Pioneer had a seatbelt warning. I know there was a buzzer, don't recall if there was a light as well.

After a whole lot of miles, some little piece of metal snapped in the buckle end and the belt wouldn't stay fastened. The driver's side belt (the short one, on the tranny tunnel) with the wiring cost about 3 times what the passenger side one cost. I always use the belts anyway, so I bought the passenger side and hot-wired the wiring under the seat to disable the warning. But it did have the warning from the factory.

Back