• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90-91 HO swap

dangerranger

NAXJA Forum User
i just swapped a 91 HO engine to a 90 non-HO xj. started it today, idles, but if i give it any gas it sputters and backfires badly. in the swap, i had to swap distributors. could i be one cog off in timng the dist? it ahs the 90 computer and harness, didnt swap any of that, just the sensors for the 90 comp. also, there is a sensor on the 90 radiator, i assume temp, what was that for? there is a temp sensor on the block, i assume for the computer. i swapped radiators also, and the 91 rad. does not have a sensor there.

thanks

Any time use swap a distributor you risk installing it off a tooth, or 180 degrees off, that will make it backfire. The sensor in the block is for the ECU to determine fuel req., & the sensor in the radiator is for the electric fan. BTW, the sensor on the back of the intk man. is for the temp. guage. I think it'll run OK with the CPU sender, that's crucial.

so the electric fan is controlled by coolant temp? for some reason i thought it was turned on for the ac syst. so i can just rewire the sensor on the therm. housing to the old plug for the rad. sensor?

yes, coolant temp determines on/off for the fan on the '90. I don't think you can just wire it up, i believe the sensor for the HO (in the t-stat housing) is different. Search, you'll find it. Check offroad.com, they have a HO swap page that addresses it. 180 degrees off, no I don't think it'll run, but it might sputter. I've never (thankfully) made that mistake, but I've heard of people getting a few coughs out of em.

ok, i'll have to check in to that sensor. i think i've got the dist a cog off, i'll have to try that. thanks a bunch for the info!

Back