• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help - 'just did something really stupid

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
I just dumped about 3/4 gal or water into my tank - - the tank is, otherwise, pretty empty . . . . I won't bore you or further embarass myself with the stupid details . . . . I have tried to syphon from the fill pipe and it just isn't working. I can jack it up and get under there but I sure hate to have to pull the fuel pump to syphon this out . . . is there another way??? pump it through the fuel rail . . . syphon it from ahead of the fuel filter????? Or, if I fill the tank and use gas dryer in the next several tanks, will it just work-through the system okay? This is the '88 . . . . thanks in advance for your thoughts/help! Don

I would suggest pulling the tank! That is the only way to get it all out for sure!

I think Ghost is right, but as a possible less-right alternative, you might consider disconnecting the fuel line at the filter, connecting a 12 volt source directly to the fuel pump, and pumping it out that way. This should remove most of the water, and perhaps you could then get the rest out with dry gas. But there's always a little on the bottom, even when you pump it out, so to do it really thoroughly, you really would do better to pull the tank. You could then dump it, and even pull the fuel pump/sender and mop out the bottom to get the last residue out.

Don, you don't have to drop the tank to pull the pump. It will come out from the tank front fairly easily. I would pull the pump and siphon the water out, or use a hand-held pump to get it out.

I have heard of pumps burning out because of water being pumped through them. Water is an electrical conductor, unlike gasoline.

Needless to say, don't smoke while doing this. An "empty" gas tank is very dangerous.

If you pull the fuel pump and siphon it out jack the jeep up so that the left or right rear corner is the lowest. That way the water will collect in one corner. Dropping the tank is the proper PIA way though.
So how did almost a gallon of water get in there, we REALLY want to know :)
I did it on my bike once, the kids filled up one of my 5 gallon blitz cans with water, I grabbed the nearest one to the door thinking it was full of Cam3 racing gas, stuck the donkey dick, errrr fuel nozzle on the can and filled it up. Ended up disconnecting the fuel petcocks and letting gravity drain it out.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll probably go the remove-the-fuel-pump-route and see how it goes. 'Probably get to it tomorrow or Monday.

Well oaky, here's the story . . . . I carry a spare gallon can of fuel and an identical one for water . . . both are clearly marked but, otherwise identical . . . . . when I decided it was time to burn the old fuel and re-fill the can with fresh (+Sta-bil treatment) . . . . . . . weeeeeeellllllllll, I just had my head up my asx and wasn't paying enough attention.

Now, I have a question for all of you. Why is it that some of us have to ALWAYS learn the hard way???????????? Don

My instructor at an instructor training course said "There are three kinds of people in the world, One kind can read a book and get all the information which will be about 1% of your students, the second kind can use a combination of reading the book and instruction, they will make up 98% of your class, then there's the remaing 1%, they just have to piss on the electric fence and see if ohms law works :)
BTW, it does.... and judging by a hunting buddys reaction it works very well....
I have a saying "Nothing is ever easy" :)
Pulled my sons YJ front bumper to shorten it a bit and 3 of the 4 bolts came out easy, #4, top passenger side, well, all I gotta say is they need to rename 'Easy outs' to "F*CK it up worse outs". From now on it's 'drill it out and retap it'

RichP said:
... well, all I gotta say is they need to rename 'Easy outs' to "F*CK it up worse outs". From now on it's 'drill it out and retap it'

:)

I have yet to see an "easy out" that actually got it out. Your description of them is considerably more accurate.

Don Becker said:
Well oaky, here's the story . . . . I carry a spare gallon can of fuel and an identical one for water . . . both are clearly marked but, otherwise identical . . . . . when I decided it was time to burn the old fuel and re-fill the can with fresh (+Sta-bil treatment) . . . . . . . weeeeeeellllllllll, I just had my head up my asx and wasn't paying enough attention.

What the heck do you use for containers? Since there are all kinds of laws, Federal, state and (probably) local saying that you can only dispense and carry gasoline in "approved" containers, that means you must be carrying your water in a red gasoline container, right?

I'm only half joshing you here. For a number of reasons, aside from the one you just found, it is never a good idea to carry gasoline in anything other than an approved container. First, some other types of containers are more prone to split spontaneously, which is not something I'd want a gallon of gasoline to do in the back of my daily driver. Second, in the event of an accident or a vehicle fire, if you have a container of gasoline back there it really NEEDS to be in a container that responding emergency personnel can immediately recognize as gasoline.

You may have "Gas" written on it in magic marker, but a fireman peering in the window on a rainy night may not be able to see your hand-written label on the side of that old anti-freeze jug. This is not only unsafe, it's also totally unfair to the poor guys who have to deal with whatever the emergency is.

Gas "cans" are cheap. Buy one. Personally, I don't trust plastic. I found a catalog place (either Sportsmans Guide or Cheaper Than Dirt) that sells a 1-gallon (or maybe it's 2-quart, don't recall at the moment) version of a heavy metal Gerry can. It comes in an OD primer, but a can of Wal-Mart's best bright red paint and it becomes a dandy container for the emergency fuel stash. It even looks like a gasoline container, so nobody should ever mistake it for anything else.

you can use methanol alcohol after you get the water out. the alcohol with adsorb the water so it can burn, maybe 1gal to a tank.

Gee fellas, we're off on a bit of a (well intentioned) tangent here . . . . nobody said my gas wasn't in an approved container.

Anyway, the problem is fixed. 'Removed the tank. 'Wasn't nearly as bad as I expected and that really is the only way to go. In fact, next time either of my XJ's needs a fuel pump, I'm pulling the tank to do the job . . . . it's just not worth the tight, cramped quarters trying to do it around and over the rear axle. Plus you can see that you get the pump positioned correctly into the seating gromet and that the lock ring actually goes in under all three lugs. Thanks for the help. Don

"then there's the remaing 1%, they just have to piss on the electric fence and see if ohms law works"

I saw my dad do just that (he cut an ungeaceful backflip too LOL) so I guess I fit into that 98% group. I like learning from others mistakes before I make my own if at all possible...whether the lesson takes is up to the individual. I also like to share my & :anon: others learned mistakes so innocent folks may avoid them.

Actually, I have been all 3 at one time or another :)

Back