• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a steering shaft replacement needed?

Chris112

NAXJA Forum User
Well on sunday Mike (SidRipTide) stopped by to drop off a couple of things and he took a quick look at my steering issue.. Right away he saw that my steering shaft had a joint that seemed to have extra play in it.. Basicly the top half connected to the wheel was turning slightly but the lower half didnt move until a certain point was reached..
shaft1.gif

In this picture you can see the part I am talking about.. Now I dont know if I have to replace the entire shaft or just that section.. Or even how difficult it is to do so. I called a few junkyards in my area and no one had a shaft and a few actually said they dont save them. So I am not sure if anyone has any other connections they would be willing to check with for me.. I was talking to a friend and he said that there is a Borgenson piece that is made to replace it. I guess its a heavy duty replacement, but the price is around $230 and I dont have the money right now and probably dont need it.. So any help would be great!!!

Thanks a alot!

Depending on what year it is, some of the XJs used GM steering columns. You could possibly use one out of a car or small truck, I’m thinking S-10ish. Flaming River makes a heavy-duty replacement, but its pretty expensive. I’d check with the u-pull-it places in the surrounding towns. If nothing else give Crown Automotive a call:
http://www.crownautomotive.net/

Back