• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Impossible To Remove Alternator from Bottom? ('94 Cherokee 4x4) URGENT

R_Willis

NAXJA Forum User
Is it impossible?

All alternator bolts and wires are detached/off.

I'm removed the black bracket and still cannot figure out how to get that sucker out of there.

I'd pull it out from the top, but one of the nuts holding the battery tray down is stripped and i cannot for the life of me get it out.

Stuck and awaiting help please!!

1994 Cherokee Sport 4x4 automatic

Do you still have the fabric splash shield in place? I replaced the alternator in an 88 MJ from below because it was easier than from above, but the splash shield was long gone. Still had to wiggle and twist the alternator until I found THE one angle/position that would let it slide out.

I think I removed the battery tray when I did the one in my 96. It has been several years now so I could be wrong. If you have a Dremel you might try cutting the nut on the battery tray with a cut-off wheel.

BTW - Where do you live in Lebanon? I'm on Wilmington Rd.

i did it on a '90 from underneath. remember that it was a tricky procedure. had to lift and twist it a bit and finally found a position at which it would come out. try more. use cursewords.

Sure, finding the right position to remove it from is key to getting it out of the bottom. I did mine this way. Just remove both brackets that attach it to the frame and it should slide right out. In owning my '91 for only about a year now, I've realized that I prefer to do things right (removing things such as brackets and air filter boxes to make jobs easier) rather than forcing it... it did, however take a lift installation and the replacement of both an alternator and a power steering pump for me to figure this out. It takes a little more time.. sometimes.. but it is definately worth it. Just some words of advice for anyone who's reading this.

so did you remove it bracket and all or just the alternator, if you didnt take the bracket off thats why its not coming off.Take the bracket off the alternator. I doubt this is the problem but sometimes you just never know.T

Looking at my ’91, it should be easier to remove the alternator up through the top. The battery try will have to come out to do this. Use a Dremel tool to cut the rusted nut off. There are three bolts holding the battery tray to the fender, if you reinstalled it using the two good bolts I think that it would be fine. If you are worried about it you can punch out the old bolt and put a new one in from the wheel well.

From the top???

When I replaced mine last spring I could not for the life of me get it out from the top. I did how ever get it out from below with very little effort.

Found this old thread and I think it's perfect....

I've got a 95 XJ, 4.0, with A/C and I can't get my alternator out. I've got the alternator completely free from everything, I even took off the black bracket already, but I can't get it out. I've got A/C components next to and behind it, the clutch fan in front of it, and one leg of the mounting bracket from the engine beneath it. I have the battery tray pulled out as well, but still no luck. I managed to turn the alt. upside down, but I can't get it out. Any clues? It's going to be even harder to get the larger 136 amp alt. back in....

Any way you could describe which way to turn it? I've been trying for about an hour now...And I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but could my aftermarket motor mounts have the engine sitting in a different location?

Well, I went back out and the stock one managed to come right out. To get the new one in however, which was larger, I ended up just taking off the clutch fan... It's easy to get in there now! :laugh3:

Back