• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft removal

whosyourdaddy?

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have suggestions how to remove rear driveshaft? I removed the spring retaining clips, snapped off the plastic pieces on the inside of the bearing caps, and beat one bearing cap to remove the opposite side. To no avail.

Do I need a torch? This is the first time Ive seen these with no u straps on the joint. How in the world do you get these out without beating the crap out of your driveshaft?

This is for my 00 cherokee that Im doin my sye on...
I cant even get the shaft off and Im gonna install a sye? Jeez.

?????

Are you asking how to get the driveshaft out of the vehicle, or how to get the u-joint out of the drive shaft yoke?

trying to get the shaft out of the vehicle. i can obviously undo the bolts in the rear, but i need to get the shaft out of the t/c. does it just slide out? it doesnt make a lot of sense the way im doin it, which is trying to get the shaft seperated from the t/c at the front joint.

Just take of the U straps on the back and drop the rear of the shaft down and then simply pull out of the TC. Nothing fancy to do. Keep it simple.

WILDHORSE

What they said, Just unbolt it fron the rear diff and it will slideout of the Tcase. It may be a little stuck to the pinion yoke, I know mine was. A gentle pry from a screwdriver popped it right out.

Yeah the driveshaft is as easy as it looks to remove, don't over think this job, its a 5 minute job. Undo the bolts that hold the U-joint straps on and remove straps then simply pull shaft out of t-case, give it a lil wiggle, push, giggle, pull, it should slide right out. If your talking about how to get the actual u-joints out than thats another story, those have to be pressed in at a shop unless you have access to a press.

Later,

Eric

i beat the %%%% out of mine tryin to get the caps out under the jeep. Boy am i dumb. Normally I'm not this stupid, but i guess theres a time for everything. Now how much damage have i done inside the case by beating on the thing?

It's probably OK.

Be leery using a press to get the caps out of the yokes...I have ruined an axleshaft with my 12t press.

I use 1/2" dr extension & sockets 15mm for a beater/ 32mm for a receiver IIRC.

Whosyourdaddy, if you don't have it out already, mark the diff yoke and the driveshaft with chalk marks. This allows you to put it back the same way it came out, and prevent any possible vibration problems.

Back