• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 41?

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
One of my buddies is hot-roding his '51 Willys Wagon and he's getting rin of the powertrain tn favor of one out of a ZJ, my question is: the axles are free, but the combo is a Dana 41 in rear and a Dana 28 kingpin style in front. I'm fairly sure that the gears are 3.08's, but can new gears be had for this old beast? Are the kingpins more trouble than they're worth?
Thanks in advance

crazyoffroader said:
One of my buddies is hot-roding his '51 Willys Wagon and he's getting rin of the powertrain tn favor of one out of a ZJ, my question is: the axles are free, but the combo is a Dana 41 in rear and a Dana 28 kingpin style in front. I'm fairly sure that the gears are 3.08's, but can new gears be had for this old beast? Are the kingpins more trouble than they're worth?
Thanks in advance

Stay away from both. The 28 may be a king pin but it's closed knuckle. It's a lot weaker than any 30 out there with less parts availability.

I would rate the 41 about as strong as a 35 besides the ring gear and it's a little stronger on the 41, but not much. Parts and TAD availability is about the same as above.

I agree. This stuff would be cool to use for a vintage style resto, but is way too old and oddball to actually upgrade. If i were you, id get my hands on another willys body and frame, use those axles, and build a nice period correct jeep for a nice drivway ornament and sunday cruiser. :^)

crazyoffroader said:
Yea, I thought they might be too old, oh well...
Quick question, would a D44 out of a similar Willys be worth using?

I've got one stored right now. 10 spline and really narrow, I bet the spring perches would end up being on the drums.

The only thing I would put any of those old axles in would be something else old. And the only thing old Willy's axles belong in are old Willy's. :laugh3:

Holy cow... did you say "10" spline?!?
Hell, I'd probably confuse those if i saw them in the garage for a set of giant Torx Drivers, lol!

ArcticXJ said:
Holy cow... did you say "10" spline?!?
Hell, I'd probably confuse those if i saw them in the garage for a set of giant Torx Drivers, lol!

It looks more like some of those fancy Snapon spline drives. :)

I picked it up for a semi restore of a '47 CJ-2A. It currently has the Dana 41. The 44 will probably never get used and I'll just leave the 41 in place.

Back