• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I-4, old accessories on new long block

roXJeepr

NAXJA Member #334
Do any of you know if I can put my '89 MJ 2.5 stuff on a '97-up long block 2.5 without any problems? They use the same bellhousing pattern and intake/exhaust bolt size and patterns? Any difference in the dodge dakota 2.5 I-4 block or head? tia
Dale

Probably not. The 2.5 used in the Jeep (and definitely before 1990) is/was an AMC design, and bears no similarity to the GM 2.5 or the MOPAR 2.5 (or the Ford 2.5, in case you might be wondering...)

However, the frontend parts for the 2.5 will fit up to the 4.0 without complaint.

Given that you're talking about going into a late-model Dakota, I'm inclined to say no.

5-90

It's actually going in the MJ. The deal is, my 2.5 MJ engine is pretty much dead tired. I have a few options as I see it. I could swap a 4.0. I could swap a 2.5 or I could rebuild my 2.5 I am looking for the cheapest, easiest and fastest option. So if I got another 2.5 it would have to be a 95 or older Jeep for my stuff to fit? Did I understand you correctly?

I'm surprised to hear that the newer Mopar 2.5 is different from the AMC 2.5, especially since Mopar didn't seem to have a 2.5 until after they bought AMC ...

I've got an intake from a 93 YJ that I've test fitted successfully to my 84 head. No wiring or anything to actually get the fuel injection hooked up, but on the stand everything looks okay, it may require a newer exhaust manifold to work properly as it looks like the flanges may be different thicknesses.

The other thing that seems to change a little is the way the front power steering bracket bolts onto that intake, but if you're using your old tbi set up, you should be fine.

Does anyone have any reference that shows the Dakota and Jeep engines actually being different or not ?

Edit: Quickest way is to probably hang out on the YJ boards and scan their for sale areas, there seems to be a fair number of them from time to time.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. I've about decided to just swap in a 4.0 Here's my dilemma with that. I can get the motor, computer, harness and everything else needed for the physical swap. I have an ax-15 from my 90 xj that I can use. I will need to buy a clutch kit. My MJ is 2WD and I'd like to keep it that way. So... is there a 2WD tail housing for the ax-15 or will I need to get a np231 and not use the front out? Gawd I wish it was springtime!!!!

Back