• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

preparing for lift

Barger

NAXJA Forum User
I've got some questions I'd like your experiences and input on.
I'm going to be insatlling a RE 5.5 lift on my 97XJ. The rear end is an 8.25 and I will be installing a A/A SYE with a new rear drive shaft and 33x12.50 MTR'S

Will I need degree shims for rear axle?

What size shims are people using with this or similar lifts?

I've been told drop pittman arm isn't very important for XJ's?
I know this is very important on a TJ
What pittman arm to use?

How tolerable/wheelable will the inverted Y steering be for now?
Ain't got the bucks/resources for this conversion now.

Any other experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I wan't to get this right and get the jeep back on the road quickly as it is still a daily driverl.
Thanks
Barger :us:

Ive got 4* shims in mine now,its a little "pinion" high since I put extened shackles on.The steering has been ok but Im about to install RE1350/1462's to replace my current 1310/1463's.I will also be looking at the steering when I get done.This should be the weekend I finish up my long arms,everythings in place now!

Thanks for the info.
I thought of another question.
What are people running for UCA & LCA length.
Thanks
Barger NAXJA

Will I need degree shims for rear axle?

What size shims are people using with this or similar lifts?

You will definitely need them, the question is what size shim? Are you going to be running a 4.5" spring with longer shackles? If so 4* shims should do. If you are going to be running a 5.5" rear spring with stock shackles then a 6* shim should do. I actually got exactly 5" of lift in the rear using 3" springs and a 1.25" shackle. Anyway, i'm using 4* shims and my pinion is just a hair below being straight on with the shaft.

I've been told drop pittman arm isn't very important for XJ's?
I know this is very important on a TJ
What pittman arm to use??

I don't think it's absolutely necessary but that's up to you to decide once you have your lift installed. Your drag link and your trac bar should be parrallel. You can use a ZJ pitman arm for a 1" drop if necessary (if I recall correctly).

How tolerable/wheelable will the inverted Y steering be for now?
Ain't got the bucks/resources for this conversion now.

You should be fine with the stock setup for now. There are many other people running the same amount of lift and a stock steering setup. You can at least live with it until you can afford the conversion. Besides, you will be so happy to have the lift on you won't even care for a little while. You'll think your Jeep is the best thing since sliced bread party1:

The RE might come with the shims already. I am not sure about that but I would think so. As for the steering you should be fine. If you want to beef it up a little go to the junk yard and get a ZJ tie rod. They are alot stronger.

Back