• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99+ Intake on a '97

FJH97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got finished installing the '99+ intake on my '97 & I have to say for the price of an intake it is well worth it. It respondes to the throttle better & it also idles smoother. I recommend this upgrade to anyone w/ a '97. It is a bolt on swap. the only thing's you need are some vacuum hose & wire for the sensor.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your intake? I've been loking to do this on my '96, but the cheapest I've found one was like two bills used. I'm gonna keep looking but if you have any clue as to some good sources, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks. What "little stuff" did you also need? I'm assuming gaskets and O-rings and the like?

I didn't even need the gasket on my '98 when i did the swap. It is a heavily coated graphite deal that did not stick to the old intake upon removal. Looked new. This means did not have to touch the exhaust manifold.

I know what you're saying about better idling too- The idle speed used to vary sometimes but has not since.

Yea, I have Borla Headers & the gasket was still good. I did use Hi-Temp Gasket maker to make sure it sealed. You will need Injector O-Rings & some vacuum hose. All the nuts & bolts can be reused except the one that hold a bracket for the fuel line that runs under the manifold. There are 8 manifold bolts to remove to get the manifold off. You do not need to remove the exhaust manifold to swap the intake. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. I had a sneaking susspicion that it wasn't too difficult. Now to find a manifold.

xjjunkie said:
i got a intake from a 99 for $75.00 for my 91. what will i need to put this on my 91

scot
I believe you will need the power steering pump as well and even the belt tensioning pulley.
Have seen one person though that made his own or modified his brackets to fit the stock one.

Dont you need the fuel rail and a whole bunch of other stuff to make a late model style intake manifold work with any of the pre 97 engines?

XJguy

Fuel rail same?

It appears that the 91+ fuel rail bolts to the manifold in the same locations as the 97+ so that shouldn't be a problem. But you need the PS Pump and brackets and maybe? the belt tensioner.

Back