• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case drop, anyone try this??

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
First off, i really know a sYE is the way to go....but, im on a budget, i have a 93, and im only going to 4.5 inches....and, i like the idea of having lots of cheap spare driveshafts to come across....
Anyways, i was under my xj, looking at the transfer case, and taking some measurements. I have about 1 3/4" between the t/c and the stock t/c skid. the stock t/c mount is around 2 1/4" thick. thinkng back to my old very built scout...i had used about 1" thick round biscuit type mounts. they seems plenty stong, they never failed in 2 years of suporting a np205/sm465. anyways, i was thinking about the possibility of lowering my t-case but making a custom shorter mount, rather than lowering the whole cross, thereby not loosing any ground clearence over whats already there. I think i may need to adress the shift linkage asa well, but, has any one tried something like this? if so, good idea.bad idea, if not, i'll try it anf let you all know!!

My RE 4.5' lift came with transfer case drop "biscuts" as you say. They are just 1" spacers that go between the crossmember and the frame. Drops the whole thing. I did not need to readjust anything and I am running the stock shaft with the exception on using the TJ front yoke that is a little longer the the XJ's

Rusty's sells a t-case crossmember with a built-in 1" drop.

The biscuits as i call them, arent the metal spacers. there actually cab mounts off of piten bully snow grooming machines. basically a rubber mount about 2 inches in diamiter, about 1" thick, with a stud on each end. the point is to drop it at the mount itself, and leave the crossmember bolted up against the frame, so save ground clearance. And i have looked at rusty's crossmember...but im just thinking of things to try on a budget...since i have all the stuff!!

Only gives you more clearance under the crossmember but not the transfercase itself.

I'm really hoping not...im at 3.5" now, with the only vibs comming from my front DS, and thats dues to a run in with a rock. and its minor. but you never know!! really just tossing asround ideas....if it comes to it!!

Back