• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Towing mirror extensions for '98?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I really should get some sort of extension for my '98 xj rear view mirrors for towing my enclosed snowmobile trailer. Got any reccomendations? Place to purchase them? Jeff

Sorry all, I've had the answer to this question in the back of my jeep for several days now... Between working a county fair booth and a transmission cooler/temp guage upgrade in the xj I haven't had much time.

I picked up a set of universal towing mirrors that fit nicely to my 96 Country from Autozone. They have two straps that fit top and bottom of the stock mirrors, and three feet to mate to the backside. They have a tightening knob that ratchets the straps, and you can get them pretty tight.

"As seen on TV!" the box says...

Part number 11960 Black, fully adjustable, and they seem to be quite aerodynamic. They are 17"x5.25"

The box says "CIPA mirrors", and like most other things from Autozone, made in China.

Hope this helps!

Stubbs.

edit DUUUH!, I just realized the original post was in 2004!

Cipa is about the only company that makes extension mirrors. You can get the McKesh, but they are cumbersome and expensive. Just get a universal that you are happy with and go from there. The ones Stubbs mentioned are nice, but are finicky when it comes to fit. They work well on some mirrors and really suck on others.

I agree with motornoggin, I was quite suprised they fit as well as they did with such a small contact area of the mounting pads. With bigger mirrors the shape and small contact area would be a problem.

OP might have been in 04, but at least this is some info for a new xj owner searching.

Another option would be to pick up some MJ mirrors and the XJ mirror blanking plates. The MJ mirrors are a little large for the XJ but are excellent for towing. 97+ mirrors will work as well.

Back