• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another radio question

AndyS

NAXJA Forum User
The audio system in my '94 has finally bit the dust. Or, to be more accurate, it started dying a slow death years ago, and I've finally got to the point where I can't take it. All 4 speakers are blown, radio doesn't light up any more, and it doesn't play CD's.

Since I'm obviously not an audiophile, I'd like some very basic recommendations for a good replacement system that will play CD's (I'm talking in the 100 dollar-or-less category for the receiver/CD). Was there a factory receiver for the '94 that had a CD player, rather than just the casette? I went to a local boneyard today, and the counter help said he didn't have a listing for a receiver/CD player for the '94 dash. I don't want a star wars-looking radio; the closer to OEM, the better. I just want something that'll last another 10 years and play my music loud enough to be heard (clearly...) over my Flowmaster and 31" A/T's on the highway.

Are there any inexpensive but good receiver/speaker packages out there? Thanks in advance.

Andy

A lot of folks here don't like Crutchfield, but for a really budget AM/FM/CD head, Crutchfield sells a basic Panasonic (I think the series is 1100 or something like that) for $109 including the dasboard adapter kit and wiring harness adapter. It's rated at something like 22 watts per channel and does the job just fine.

For the money the Panasonic is a tough product to top. Crutchfield may not be the cheapest but they stand behind the stuff they sell and get it to you quick. I am with Eagle on this one.

Travis :paperwork

It's too bad you didn't take advantage of the day after Thanksgiving sales. Several big box stores had stereos on sale. I bought a Clarion DB345MP and Blaupunkt 6x9s for $90 and $15 respectively. $105 total! I was happy.

I'm not an audiophile and so I'm not that picky with features and not very brand loyal. I went for the Clarion because it had simple to use buttons and a round volume turn knob (remember those!!?). The knob also tunes. My old Kenwood had so many buttons it was annoying trying to find where the f*ck everything was. I still to this day don't know where the treble and bass adjustments are.

Well. Happy hunting. Just stay away from Kenwood. They are crap. I've had two in my life (by accident) and they just do not last.

In the past 6 months I gave up on my factory radio in my 88 XJ and purchased one from crutchfield. I have had good luck with Crutchfield. Their "fit guide" information is very good and they understand the XJ from the instructions they provided me. Also Crutchfield does have a much larger selection of radios and more brands than do most stores.

I needed a radio which had a car phone "mute" feature. I was installing a nokia car kit in my XJ so i can drive and talk hands free on my cell phone. I work on a military base and they prohibit cell phone use unless you are using it handsfree. In addition, I wanted a radio to feed the output of my Delphi SkyFi XM radio into the new dash radio.

I ended up with a blaupunkt Miami Beach. It looks very factory considering the face is black. It is also a 1 DIN chassis so it would install with the factory bracket. Nothing says "steal me" than the adaptor kit sticking out 1/2 to 1 inch above the plane of the dash. Also XJs get their radio stolen so I recommend you get a radio with a black front - vs bronze, gold or silver - to help the radio look stock.

Try to mount what ever radio you buy with the stock mount bracket so it will look as stock as possible.

It up to you what features you want but keep in mind buy a radio that does not scream "aftermarket".

Thanks everyone - Crutchfield does have a pretty good selection, so I'll prolly use them out of convenience. Anyone have any opinions about the low end Clarion DB245 or Blaupunkt Montreal radios? I like them because they're black instead of "bling", and I prefer the stealth approach. The Blaupunkt has a bit more power, and I can get matching 5 1/4" Blaupunkt speakers for $40/pair.

Overall, it's a BIT more than I wanted to spend, but if Blaupunkt is as good as they used to be, then I'll be happy.

Actually, they have that offer now for several different brands of speakers, but not the Blaupunkts. Even with the 50% off though, the price is about the same since the Blaupunkts are only $40/pair.

Plus, the Blaupunkt Montreal has a $20 rebate which is only good till the end of December. All together, I'm looking at about 180 dollars for the radio and 4 matching speakers (including all mounting and wiring adaptors), which sounds like a decent deal to me. Shipping is included, too.

Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Andy

Why poo poo Crutchfield? I've been working with them for 20 years. Others may beat the price but by the time you pay $25 for shipping and buy the interface stuff generally you are higher than Crutchfield. Yes they can be beat but every time I've checked etronics.com or discounts jungle their shipping is so high I'm back at Crutchfield, plus I still have to source the interface stuff.

Back