• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Year Model XJ

plainjanexj

NAXJA Forum User
Considering the drive train, transaxle, etc. What is the best year model for XJ's from about 95 on? Don't want to start a flame war here but I have a 98 2WD that I love and am looking for a 4WD. I read about this transaxle, that rear end, etc but I can't relate those to years and models. If I want the best, most reliable system- what do I look for. Thanks for your input!!

After 95 they are all pretty much identical except for in 99 when they got a better intake manifold with equal length runners. I've heard they are good for 25hp but I can't believe it until I see it

The general feeling seems to be a '99. It's the last year of the HP Dana 30 front and the 8.25 rear is 29-spline. (IF you got an 8.25)
That being said, I really like the distributorless ignition on my '01. I've just had to swap the axles for more beef.

Back