• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size limit on a lock rite???

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
I plan to run 37" mtrs on a hp dana 44 front with 5.23 gears. The axle now has stock 3.50 gears and a lock rite. Will the lock rite be able to handle 37" tires and 5.23 gears? If so I'd probably keep it, or since I need a new carrier anyways when going to 5.23, I might put a spool or full detroit up front with the lockout hubs. Please advise.
thanks...Troy

I have been running a lock right with the same axles and 36"TSLs with 5.13 gears no problem. Had this for almost a year now.

A buddy of mine has a 74 F350 with a stroked 390, 4.88 gears and 39.5 Swampers. He has been running a Lock Rite in his rear D60 for about 8 years now with absolutely no problems.

If you have to change the carrier any way I would run the detroit. The lock right and the stock carrier is not made to handle anything like that size tire. You probally can get away with the lock right, but the detroit would not be too much more moeny. Why not get something much stronger? My opinion.

junkxj said:
If you have to change the carrier any way I would run the detroit. The lock right and the stock carrier is not made to handle anything like that size tire. You probally can get away with the lock right, but the detroit would not be too much more moeny. Why not get something much stronger? My opinion.

Sounds good. The lock rite is already in the axle, but I guess I can sell it and replace it with a full detroit. Thanks for all your input guys.

a guy I know used to have a YJ with an F250 D44 up front and he ran 38.5x14.50 TSL/SXs (much heavier than MTRs), with a 4.0 and a manual (harder on parts) with pretty good crawl ratio. He broke tons of spicer shafts, and I remember him saying that he thought it was funny that the his Lockright was the only thing up front that never did give him problems.

short answer; it'll be fine, but you better have alloy shafts.

Back